Community discussions

tom987
just joined
Topic Author

Which Router(s)?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello,

I will be building a network that I plan to use Mikrotik for, but could do with some advice on router sizing. Switching is straight forward but not sure about which CCR routers will be up to the task. I plan to have the following configuration;

Two networks classes;

- Office with 400 clients (1GbE) sat across 10 sub-net/10 vlans supporting standard office applications, internet applications, youtube/facebook etc.... all sat within a single VRF.

- Experimental networks (between 10-100). Generally lower bandwidth applications than the office network. Each experimental net will have own subnet/vlan within own vrf to provide isolation from one another.

Experimental networks should be accessible from Office network but generally not the other way around. On a case by case base an experimental network may need access to office network but this would be exceptional. So would need support some local route leaking and firewalling been office and experimental.

All networks will sit in a shared private address space with part allocated for Office subnetting and part allocated to experimental network subnetting so I do not have to worry about any overlaps when routing between.

Access to internet will be provided by means of 10Gb uplink (two, one for redundancy). Main natting and Internet Firewalling will be done upstream so I do not have to support that here. But each classes of network will have there own independent upstream gateway.

Some public address space will also be available for some exceptional natting of experimental networks where access from the internet (port forwarding) is needed. But I wouldnt see this as the norm.

DHCP would be provided elsewhere relayed by router. I will need to do the standard traffic monitoring/logging so will need to export flows.

I mostly care about v4 atm but may also add v6 later.

Would two CCR1036 (one for each class) be up to the job or should I be thinking CCR1072? Or would you simplify and just have one route to support both classes?

I plan to do some bench marking/ evaluation testing but just wanted other opinions.

BR,
Tom