Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

bdekbidemi
just joined
Topic Author

vlan on local network with nat

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 pm

can someone tell me how to create a vlan to host network for 10 computers each will not be able to communicate together but will be able to connect to internet via a public internat that is nated :?:

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:27 pm

You get a VLAN capable switch, configure the switch so that each port on the switch is in their own VLAN, and then one port of the switch connects to the Mikrotik as a VLAN Trunk. Then configure the VLAN's on the Mikrotik...
Regards,
Chris

tneumann

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:50 pm

The VLAN solution that savage outlined will work just fine, although nowadays there are more elegant solutions available. You might want to get a switch that does support the private VLAN feature. Private VLANs are VLANs that block direct communication between all connected devices but allow all of them to communicate through a designated uplink port that can be assigned to the private VLAN. This saves you from having to define a whole bunch of VLANs (one per port/device) and allows you to still keep all devices together in one IP network (with the gateway being reachable via the uplink port, of course).

--Tom

bdekbidemi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks for the reply guys

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 am

The VLAN solution that savage outlined will work just fine, although nowadays there are more elegant solutions available. You might want to get a switch that does support the private VLAN feature. Private VLANs are VLANs that block direct communication between all connected devices but allow all of them to communicate through a designated uplink port that can be assigned to the private VLAN. This saves you from having to define a whole bunch of VLANs (one per port/device) and allows you to still keep all devices together in one IP network (with the gateway being reachable via the uplink port, of course).

--Tom
Hmm, Private VLANs? The above sounds allot like Port Isolation to me... That's something different...
Regards,
Chris

tneumann

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 am

Well, I think there's no official name for that feature. Vendors call it whatever they want, I guess.

For example, Allied-Telesyn calls it Protected Ports VLAN in the following document (chapter 27)

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com/media/data ... b_v140.pdf

I've seen other names for the same thing from Foundry, Extreme, Cisco ... but it all comes down to the functionality that I described.

--Tom