Community discussions

btgomez
just joined
Topic Author

Question - Bandwidth shaping Simple Queues

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi, just wondering why my Simple Queues are not limiting based from my configuration.
Capture.PNG
I want to limit the IP 192.168.88.251 to 10M only, but when I speedtest. It still in the full bandwidth allocated from ISP.
Capture2.PNG
Is there any thing that I've missed?

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrisjc
just joined

Re: Question - Bandwidth shaping Simple Queues

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Yes, as much as I like the Fast.com speed test, I don't think its the most accurate. I can get inflated numbers when I do tests with it, yet when I look on the interface on the router I'm seeing the 'real' numbers. Use something like speedtest.net or dslreports speedtest as these will give more 'accurate' numbers.

If you want to know a queue is working correctly, max it out and watch it go red when it actually is kicking in. If it isn't going red then its not being maxxed.

I much prefer to use queue tree with PCQ, which is a little more complicated (as you have to mangle the traffic correctly) but I find it works really well and can do things like assign all the bandwidth if only one person is using it, then scale it down to guarantee someone else some bandwidth, much more dynamic and it can split bandwidth equally between hosts.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Question - Bandwidth shaping Simple Queues

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi, ether2 interface will not work as a target - you need to use a subnet (ex. 192.168.88.0/24). You will likely also find that you need to set max limit on the "all bandwidth" queue for upload and download in order for it to work.