Community discussions

eldoncito2019
Topic Author

Update firwmare

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi all,

I have the concern that if it is advisable to update the firmware of my RB to the BETA version or TESTING, I await your answers.

Thank you all.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Update firwmare

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Unless your RB experiences a problem or you need a new feature and any of them is being developed in newest testing/beta, then it's not advisable to run tesing/beta version of ROS.
BR,
Metod

eldoncito2019
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Unless your RB experiences a problem or you need a new feature and any of them is being developed in newest testing/beta, then it's not advisable to run tesing/beta version of ROS.

I understand, but is it advisable then, whenever a new stable update comes out, to place it in the RB?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm

I understand, but is it advisable then, whenever a new stable update comes out, to place it in the RB?

That's advisable indeed, because stable branch only gets updates if there's some problem fixed or a security issue fixed.

Personally I don't upgrade devices blindly, I check the change log and if the changes don't touch anything used by a particular device, I usually skip the upgrade.
BR,
Metod

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Of course you should follow the "stable" releases as release notes often have quite bad descriptions of critical security problems.
You will read descriptions like "improved handling of URL parameters in webserver" when in fact it means "solved critical problem that allows everyone to download plaintext passwords without even logging in".

That aside, when you need to ask if you should install beta software, the answer is NO.
You should only install beta software when you already know what is the purpose, what are the risks, and what is your task after installing it.