Community discussions

MikroTik App

GREG3f
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Best Bandwidth Throttling Solution

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Looking to setup a new WISP network and would like to know which method of bandwidth throttling is considered the best choice today.

Will be using external Radius and have a 1036 CCR for the gateway. Will have MPLS with VPLS Tunnels to each tower site.

Looking at speeds of 100 to 500 mbps using 60 Ghz.

Is PPPoE still a valid solution for authentication or is a MAC Address/Radius DHCP solution better?

Would you use a single simple queue with PCQ throttling for an address range, or individual Queue per PPPoE client or IP address. Is a queue tree a better way to manage throughput in combination with address lists?

Looking for Pros and Cons and any other suggestions.

MCN
just joined

Re: Best Bandwidth Throttling Solution

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:02 am

So - after no other responses / etc - What did you decide?

Let us know.

Either are considered okay industry wise as far as I know. Depends on what you want to do. We did PPPoE with radius... and individual Simple Queues -

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 am

You have three basic options to throttle bandwidth.
- Simple-Queues ( Mikrotik supports this - easy - basic straight forward - not suited for larger networks )
- IP firewall (complex configuration - limit bw by IP address) (( Mikrotik supports this ))
- Mac Address ( Mikrotik does not support bw by customer MAC address ) - PfSense does support bw management by MAC address in Captive-Portal

North Idaho Tom Jones

pacmen

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 am

How do your clients going to connect to your network, with what cpe termination that you provide them or one the buy there own?

Case You provide them mikrotik antenna you get full management and control so you can throttle from this termination device which is bridge to theire in home router.
Case you want to disconnect a client you just need to turn off there port to the in-home router, and you will allways maintened you the residence, so if client want to connect back, you do it in seconds.

This method expensive but you will ensure qos, and can monitor the signal quality.

This way + mpls you reach somewhat pure carrier ethernet.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:30 pm

How do your clients going to connect to your network, with what cpe termination that you provide them or one the buy there own?
At my ISP, we own/provide the CPE.
The CPE is normally configured like this:
WAN ( DHCP client ) - this WAN interface connects to one of our towers ( wireless ) , or is connected to our Fiber.
LAN ( NAT & DHCP server ). We hand off an Ethernet cable to the customer ( this is the D-MARK where the customer network begins ). Note - On some of our business customers , we don't NAT and instead hand off a /30 block of live IP addresses.
We manage/own the CPE , customers never have access to log into our CPE.
One reason we use a CPE is to prevent customers from directly connecting to our WAN-to-customer networks. This prevents customers from injecting a DHCP server back into our networks that other CPEs can hear.

North Idaho Tom Jones

pacmen

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:04 am

This is more or less what i will do, if so you can just traffic shape on the termination CPE device, no?
You can also Monitor the CPE device and inform your client of any issue arise - and also automate the process by sending SMS to your clients.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:02 pm

This is more or less what i will do, if so you can just traffic shape on the termination CPE device, no?
You can also Monitor the CPE device and inform your client of any issue arise - and also automate the process by sending SMS to your clients.
You can traffic shape on the CPEs.
This is pretty easy when when the CPE count is not large.
When your ISP grows and you have hundreds of CPE, then this gets difficult to manage. I started this way with traffic shaping on each CPE. We now do all of our traffic shaping on a single core Mikrotik CHR router. Our CRM/billing-system ( Sonar ) has the ability to auto-configure the traffic shaper ( add/change/suspend .. ).

pacmen

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am

does Sonar implement the shaping on the CPE or on the core?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:46 pm

does Sonar implement the shaping on the CPE or on the core?
The Sonar ISP system has a couple of options to perform per-customer bandwidth management. We use a Mikrotik-#1 ( CHR ), with two interfaces ( ether1 & ether2 ). Sonar has some APIs ( hooks ), which permit the Sonar system to get information from our Mikrotik-#2 DHCP server ( MAC address , and IP address ), for each customer in Sonar. Sonar then will connect to the Mikrotik-#1 and configure the address-lists ( IP address , account active status, bandwidth-up/bandwidth-down ). When an account is past-due, Sonar will modify Mikrotik-#1 which results in web page re-directs to one of our web servers which shows a red page stating account past due , please call our office.

Tom Jones

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 am

So cool Tom, thanks for sharing what you do, always fascinating to see people work in large scale, i can barely cope with a single router and a couple of access points.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:40 am

So cool Tom, thanks for sharing what you do, always fascinating to see people work in large scale, i can barely cope with a single router and a couple of access points.
Yea - large networks have their own set of problems , then add to that about a thousand Mikrotik wireless devices and I can then see it would be totally easy to go postal ...

FYI - for bulk management of my client CPE wireless devices, I created a Linux based script server. It basically does this:
- Loop and repeat for each client wireless client CPE in my list
- Ping , if on-line continue , of not on-line then work on next CPE
- telnet or ssh in to the CPE
- do some CLI stuff and save results in a log-file on my Linux server
- do some other stuff ( update mikrotik ROS version , reboot , make changes , perform site-survey to file, ftp upload something ... )
- sleep x seconds
- still more in my list ? if no - then exit , else if still-more then loop

The sleep x seconds determines how quickly I want to process my list. If I need to process everything super quickly , then I perform each task in the Linux background , which may result in several hundred established connections on my Linux script server.

When your network get's big, you will need/want something similar so that you can bulk manage all of your Mikrotik CPEs.

North Idaho Tom Jones

pacmen

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Amazing