Community discussions

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

watchdog timer cause reboot

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 am

Hello,
2 days ago Mikrotik announced 6.45.1 that they solved some security issues on that version and i have upgraded all of my CCR's to 6.45.1 but after upgrade one of my CCR1036-8G-2S+ to 6.45.1 it reboots suddenly twice in 3 days. and the log was this :
router was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer

and as a note after i upgrade ros to 6.45.1 i forgot to upgrade /system routerboard upgrade , then today after second reboots i did it, and i hope my issue has been solved.
so i want to ask whats the reason for this? anyone has any idea?

Thank you.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: watchdog timer cause reboot

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am

Use long term versions only. Stable means ready for public testing. Make your own tests on non productive device before you decide to upgrade so far well running device. Use partitions to be able switch the version to previous in case of any problems, because none can rely on downgrade.

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you for your comment, but i have never any problem with stable versions,
anyway, are we able downgrade routeros and firmware from 6.45.1 to 6.43.16 ?
and whats your idea about this issue that i explained?

in addition to all of them i have upgraded them to 6.45.1 because i as you know they were some security issues that recenty fixed on 6.45.1 so in some cases we should use stable.

Thank you.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 am

Normally you can freely downgrade but you need to count with the possibility of damaging the configuration so the full reset without defaults and subsequent import of previously exported config might be necessary.

Think twice whether the corrected vulnerability is really applicable to your case so it justifies the risk of newly emerged errors.

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 am

Hello,
i have upgrade my routerboot firmware and it seems my problem solved.
my router is up for about 5-6 days now and it seems it was a bug between ros and routerboot firmware that has issue when sending watchdog signal to routerboot