xbaha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

bridge & MAC address

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Hello,
my network is like this:
USER ---> ACCESS POINT ---> STATION ---> Access Point (MT RB) ---> billing device

what happens is, all the users MAC addresses are logged in the Station, now i setup both interfaces on the Access Point MT RB to be as a bridge.
The problem is, MT RB is passing the STATION MAC ADDRESS ONLY to the billing device rather than passing EACH LOGGED IN USER MAC ADDRESS. so when i check the billing device, i get 1 MAC address which is the STATION mac address, what i want is when i check it, i get all the MAC addresses for all the users, how do i do that?

thank you.

tneumann

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:27 pm

Make sure you're using WDS on the link 'STATION ---> Access Point (MT RB)'

--Tom

xbaha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:07 pm

the station is senao, the Accdss Point is MT
you mean set the MT Access Point instead of AP-Bridge to be WDS?

thanks.

tneumann

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:05 pm

Both sides of the connection (AP and station) must support WDS and must be configured to use it. If your Senao station does not support WDS then you will not be able to achieve transparent bridging and would need to replace that station with other, more capable hardware.

--Tom

chiefbmr

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:37 am

The senao will not transparently bridge. Any device behind it will show up as the senao MAC.

xbaha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:22 am

that is not correct,
my setup was:
PC -> senao indoor -> senao station -> senao AP ->billing -> internet

i can see the PC MAC address in the billing server, when i changed senao AP to MT, all people logged in the MT AP share 1 MAC address which is MT MAC address...

tneumann

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 am

Now you're confusing me. At the start of this discussion (your first posting) you stated that the station's MAC address is seen, now you're telling us it's the MAC address of the MT router... so which one is it?

--Tom

xbaha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:02 pm

the only MAC address seen by the billing device is the MT router MAC.

i want it , the MT, to be transparent, so that all the PCs MAC passes through it. it was working with senao, i replaced one senao with MT, but it's not briding the PCs MAC Addresses..

tneumann

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm

Well, initially you said that the MT is configured as a bridge, now you say it is configured as a router... As already written in the other thread discussing the same thing: A router is not transparent to MAC addresses. If you absolutely must see the clients MAC addresses at the billing server then the MT device must be configured as a transparent bridge and must not be configured for routing. Once the MT device is correctly configured as a transparent bridge then visibility of client MAC addresses to the billing server will only depend on the transparent bridging abilities of the stations and the access point (WDS, EoIP, ...)

These are you only two options, there is nothing more to say about this.

--Tom