MUM Europe 2020

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

socks proxy with remote dns

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Hello,

is it possible to use the socks proxy server on a mikrotik router with remote dns?

I tried to set up but it was not possible that the router opened an outgoing connection to the target server.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: socks proxy with remote dns

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:46 pm

The answer is no. SOCKS server in RouterOS is terribly outdated, it supports only SOCKS4, i.e. no hostnames, only numeric IP addresses.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks.

It would be nice if ROS would get any "real" SOCKS proxy implementation (srelay would be a open source socks proxy).

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 am

Somewhat unexpectedly, things changed for the better since last time. RouterOS 6.47 (currently in beta) has SOCKS5, and not just the simplest CONNECT command for outgoing connections. It also handles incoming connections with BIND command (I'm not sure if correctly, it doesn't seem to return bind address), and even UDP association may be there (it responds with success code when requested, but I don't think I have anything to test it properly).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:37 pm

It's sad.
On OpenWrt based devices it's no problem to compile any package you need.

Mikrotik should begin to integrate some additional packages which the community want to use.
They offer some packages like ntpd, hotspot, ups, advanced-tool and etc. but I miss socks proxy (srelay) or an authoritatived dns server (maradns or powerdns). All of this helpful tools are lightweight and could be used on non-busy Mikrotik routers.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Why sad? There's now SOCKS5 server and it works. You wanted remote DNS, which I assume means client giving hostnames to server (instead of locally resolved IP addresses) and server resolving them, and it's there.

skylark
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 pm

We are working on SOCK5 improvements, please be patient. :)

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Sorry, I read it inaccurately.

Good news. :-)