Community discussions

jaishnavpawala
just joined
Topic Author

VPN to Mikrotik for an Android phone!!!

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi guys, in my home I have a TP-Link 9970 VDSL router and, behind NAT , an RB2011. Sometimes ago I setup port forwarding to access some cameras, now I need to access also the home alarm so, instead of make many devices available from outside, I was thinking about removing every external access and, when I'm away, just use a VPN to connect to my LAN ... Am I right?

Then I started googling, but there are many different tutorials, some that seems outdated... I read about PPTP , then I read that it's not secure, so I need L2TP , then I read the are bugs with it in Android 9 ... Then I've not been able to understand if my TP-Link router is able to forward IPSec VPN packets or not...

Please help me ;-)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN to Mikrotik for an Android phone!!!

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 am

Can you link to those Android 9 L2TP issues? I've set up an L2TP/IPsec VPN for my friend so that he could access his cameras, and his wife's Anroid 9 phone works fine with that setup.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 am

I am using an L2TP/IPsec VPN at work for that purpose and it works fine on the different Android phones.
It only is a bit inconvenient to create the VPN connection on the phone, we use 32 character random IPsec secret and 12 character random password.
It would have been nice when you could use a small file to "import" a VPN configuration on the phone like on most platforms, but I have not found how to do it on Android.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 am

It would have been nice when you could use a small file to "import" a VPN configuration on the phone like on most platforms, but I have not found how to do it on Android.
well... such a file would be as secure or insecure as a plaintext file, so you can deliver a plaintext file "somehow" to the Android device (or just show it on a password-protected https site you access from the phone) and copy-paste the two random strings from there to the VPN configuration, it works (at least on my 8.1.0, haven't tested other releases).
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Please compare it to a .onc file that can be used with ChromeOS, the sister product at Google. (used on Chromebooks)
You can generate a .onc file (which is a JSON file) and it can be imported into a Chromebook with a few clicks, and it sets up the entire VPN entry with name, all parameters, including passwords, certificates when required etc.
This is so much more convenient when you want a VPN to be added to an employee's phone for secure access to some network (like the topic-starter's application).

3liswaid

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:36 pm

use your VDSL Router as bridge and configure the ppoe in Mikrotik and use whatever you want

ingdaka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:39 pm

I work many remote access Mikrotik with L2TP to my Note 8 Device with Android 9, no issue since now! You can use Mikrotik ass L2TP server but to get connected you need to forward port 4500 and 500 from TP-Link to Mikrotik!
Ilir Daka
Electronic & Network Engineer
E-mail: ilirdaka@live.com
Mob: +355692982151
WhatsApp: +355692982151
Mikrotik Official Consultant
CCNA | Fortinet NSE3 | MTCRE | MTCSE