Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

HELP! Just lost terminal or Telnet option!

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:59 pm

While trying to set up some filter rules in the firewall section by Winbox I wanted to initiate a terminal session (in the winbox session) for easy copy and past of rules taken from the ROS.
But the terminal window (or a telnet session to itself) doesn´t come up with a window no more!! It´s flickers up and dissapears straight away! What caused this? I´m 100% sure it worked yesterday!
I work with version 2.9.41 and have all packages installed as far as I can see.
I can run a telnet session into the unit from another but that´s not what I want!

Who can help me!

mneumark

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:34 am

WirelessRudy,

It sounds like you added a input firewall filter that is blocking access to the router from your station. I would recommend going through your accept rules and make sure you have access to the router.

Matt

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:27 am

WirelessRudy,

It sounds like you added a input firewall filter that is blocking access to the router from your station. I would recommend going through your accept rules and make sure you have access to the router.

Matt
Well, if I have access to my router from a PC by Winbox and then in Winbox try to open a terminal window that should not be a problem isn´t it?
May be it´s the protocol used? Winbox works with ?? protocol, while a terminal works with ?? protocol. (Obviously another?). I´m overlooking all my firewall rules but so far didn´t find anything. But I might be wrong.

mneumark

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:33 am

WirelessRudy,

Well winbox using port 80 and 8291. If you believe that your firewall rules are correct, then try deleting %appdata%\mikrotik folder and then try to run winbox again. Another thing you might want to do is post your rules so we can help you better if you are still having issues.

Matt

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:57 am

WirelessRudy,

Well winbox using port 80 and 8291. If you believe that your firewall rules are correct, then try deleting %appdata%\mikrotik folder and then try to run winbox again. Another thing you might want to do is post your rules so we can help you better if you are still having issues.

Matt
Even when all firewall rules are disabled I can't open terminal.
What do you mean with deleting "%appdata%\mikrotik" folder. I can't find such folder or file in the file list?

GotNet

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:42 am

WirelessRudy,

Matt
Even when all firewall rules are disabled I can't open terminal.
What do you mean with deleting "%appdata%\mikrotik" folder. I can't find such folder or file in the file list?
These are on the host PC. Need to enable "show hidden files and folders"

mneumark

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:13 am

WirelessRudy,

Goto "start"
Goto "run'
Type "%appdata%\mikrotik" (without quotes)
click ok or hit enter

This is the folder you need to delete...

Matt

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:12 am

OK, I disabled all firewall filters, rebooted the device and tried a New Terminal session. The window flashes up for a split second and then is gone.....

I removed the folder as mentioned above and opened winbox again. After downloading the new software from the router it opens in winbox and I try to open a Terminal session, same result. A flash and it´s gone.

Tried the same on another PC with the same results.
Tried to open other MT routers on these PC´s with winbox and opened the terminal session to these, NO problem!

I can run a terminal session through the console (monitor and keyboard of the PC running MT ROS) and I can open a remote telnet session to the router.

Something in the ROS running on the PC has caused it to block or supress the Terminal session.

Anybody more suggestions?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:31 am

Easiest way to solve the problem?

/export the config. /system reset. Log in while the configuration is still in a "virgin" state and see if the terminal works now. If so, restore your configuration. If it stops working after that, then /system reset the router yet again, and then run small sections of the script generated by export, each time trying the terminal again before the next section of the script to see if it stops working.

When the terminal fails to come up, examine that portion of the script/config to figure out what option you are setting to cause this behavior.

I would advise you to read up on these commands before trying this. Doing an export from the root location (/) does not necessarily give you a script that will restore your config to the exact same state as before. You may need to rearrange some parts as some parts are dependent on other parts that have been put later in the script. There may also be sections marked FIXME that you should definitely pay attention to.

My advice is, if this is a critical router on your network, /system backup your config first so that if you mess up/get stuck, you can always restore it back to the way it was before. You might find it easier to take the file generated by /system backup and copy it to a different (test-bench) router, and then restore the configuration on there and THEN try out my suggestions (do all your testing on a different, non-production box).

-- Nathan

mneumark

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:30 am

OK, I disabled all firewall filters, rebooted the device and tried a New Terminal session. The window flashes up for a split second and then is gone.....

I removed the folder as mentioned above and opened winbox again. After downloading the new software from the router it opens in winbox and I try to open a Terminal session, same result. A flash and it´s gone.

Tried the same on another PC with the same results.
Tried to open other MT routers on these PC´s with winbox and opened the terminal session to these, NO problem!

I can run a terminal session through the console (monitor and keyboard of the PC running MT ROS) and I can open a remote telnet session to the router.

Something in the ROS running on the PC has caused it to block or supress the Terminal session.

Anybody more suggestions?
WirelessRudy,

Do you have any NAT rules or any routes that might be incorrect?

Matt

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 am

Easiest way to solve the problem?

/export the config. /system reset. Log in while the configuration is still in a "virgin" state and see if the terminal works now. If so, restore your configuration. If it stops working after that, then /system reset the router yet again, and then run small sections of the script generated by export, each time trying the terminal again before the next section of the script to see if it stops working.

When the terminal fails to come up, examine that portion of the script/config to figure out what option you are setting to cause this behavior.

I would advise you to read up on these commands before trying this. Doing an export from the root location (/) does not necessarily give you a script that will restore your config to the exact same state as before. You may need to rearrange some parts as some parts are dependent on other parts that have been put later in the script. There may also be sections marked FIXME that you should definitely pay attention to.

My advice is, if this is a critical router on your network, /system backup your config first so that if you mess up/get stuck, you can always restore it back to the way it was before. You might find it easier to take the file generated by /system backup and copy it to a different (test-bench) router, and then restore the configuration on there and THEN try out my suggestions (do all your testing on a different, non-production box).

-- Nathan
OK, I was thinking in the same direction as your last suggestion. I was actually planning to make a backup router on a dedicated unit (with rb532c board) anyway and this only brings that forward on my action list. I do need to read in a bit on config backups and so on and probably set up the new unit straight away since most of the config´s I know out or my head by now.
but due other priorities it might take a while before you´ll see the outcome of the ´back to virgin´ procedure on the failing unit.
But thanks anyway for the given suggestions so far....

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:41 am

Do you have any NAT rules or any routes that might be incorrect?

Matt[/quote]

Hi Matt, I also disabled the NAT rules when trying out. Leaves routing as a possible problem source although I don´t understand how it could.

Routing is under development in my network now anyway with the help of an MT adapt since I don´t seem to see all the ins and outs of it and my nerwork consists of serveral routers with different networks and different remote locations which will see expansion in the near future. (I am a small WISP). All node are now in the same network and wherever possible interfaces are bridged.

Hopefully this will give the solution to the problem and otherwise it will be tracked down following the suggestions of the other respondend.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway and i´ll let you know the outcome, but it might take a while...