Community discussions

wokolomo
just joined
Topic Author

L2TP+IPsec only working on certain clients

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:09 pm

I've have an road warrior L2TP+IPSec VPN setup as per instructions here https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/L2TP.

When connecting through iOS devices everything seems to be working as it should. All connections are routed through the VPN server and ios device can access all internal resources with no problems.

However, when connecting from my Android device it seems like some of the packets are lost. ie when loading a webpage, only basic text and hyperlinks loads but all the rich formatting are missing. Most of the time it will be stuck after loading some text. Pinging and tracert from android to various internal and external websites works OK. Even trying to access the webserver on the internal network leads to timing out.

The same goes for hotspotting. If I connect my laptop to the ios hotspot, the laptop can dial into the VPN directly with no issues. But when connecting through the android device hotspot, the same sluggish performance ensues on the laptop.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the configurations on the VPN server? Could it be my firewall NAT rules?
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="masquerade trafic through router" ipsec-policy=out,none