Community discussions

gdanov
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth prioritization with simple queues problem

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi,
I have line with 10M up/downlink bandwidth and want to set-up guaranteed minimal bandwidth for my business devices (to protect vs. kids' netflix).
I set 2 simple queues ("default" and "hipri") with the same max-limits but 30-70% limit-at values. "hipri" is ordered before "default". That's my business queue.
The targets are configured correctly (verified via speedtest while watching the queue stats), but when I run devices on both queues to compete, the "hiprri" queue starves (bellow limit-at) while the "default" queue consumes more than it's limit-at (therefore starves the "hipri").
When both queues compete I see the "hipri" drop packages even though it's not hitting it's max-limit?
What am I doing wrong? For reference here's the queue config:
 0    name="hipri" target=192.168.88.11/32 parent=none packet-marks="" priority=1/1 queue=default-small/default-small limit-at=9M/11M max-limit=11M/14M burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s
      bucket-size=0.1/0.1

1    name="default" target=bridge1 parent=none packet-marks="" priority=8/8 queue=default-small/default-small limit-at=1M/1M max-limit=11M/13M burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s
      bucket-size=0.1/0.1