MikroTik App

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Initial setup configurations for RB153 RouterBoard Help

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi Mikrotik Gurus,
I recently bought the RB153 RouterBoard with nL4 license. I thought that it would be just straight forward to set it up like i did with my Dlink wireless router. It turned out that I was wrong. I have spent numerous hours reading and trying with different settings without success. Please help me out of this mist and show me some light so that I could start again.

Here are a few things I have done:
1- installed the Ubiquiti SR2 mini PCI wireless card + antenna
2- downloaded and installed winbox
3- connected my adsl2 modem to eth1
4- set "DHCP client" to internet interface eth1
5- set wireless mode to AP Bridge
6- went through the auto setup in "ip then hotspot" (don't know how to select hotspot SSL certificate)

Problem:
1- my laptops have "limited or no connectivity" even the wireless signal is exellent.
2- error page "page cannot be displayed" on browser.

Help needed:
1- Plz let me know if I did it all wrong or if there is something else I have to do.
2- Plz show me how to set the certificate in hotspot setup (using winbox)
3- Any other suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance!!!!

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:29 pm

In the absence of any further information, I am assuming you are only using ether1 to connect to your ADSL modem and wlan1 s a WiFi AP?

are you terminating the ADSL connection on your ADSL Modem/Router (ie does the ADSL modem store the username and password for Authentication)? and do NAT? and run a DHCP server?

IF the answer to ALL of these is YES, then all you have to do is bridge ether1 and wlan1 (you don't need hotspot running to connect a laptop to your home network).

IF the answer to any of the above questions is NO, then you will need to provide more information as to what you are trying to achieve.

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi vk7zms,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes you are right, I am currently using eth1 to connect to my ADSL modem and wlan1 as an WiFi AP. Also my modem stores user name and password for authentication. Call me stupid but I honestly don't know what NAT is.
I spent quite a lot of $$ to purchase this RouterBoard and RouterOS here in Australia so I realy want to try and use the hotspot function (I want to be the good guy and share my ADSL2+ internet "safely" with my neighbours without worrying that they will use up all my quota:)

Plz provide me with some more specific instructions (I have very little knowledge in this area but am willing to learn).

Ta

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Ok - Yes I know how much this kit is to buy in Australia, I have around 200 units deployed :)

well hotspot works really well, and in its simplest form is really easy to get going. If you have already added a hotspot, delete it and start again.....

instead of using the add button, use the "setup" button wich takes you through the wizard. IF your ADSL modem's DHCP server handed out a DNS, this will automatically appear in the wizard. for a basic setup, al the deaults can be accepted. go to users and add a user - and presto.........

There are lots of other nice features for the hotspot, like adding your own mac address under ip bindings so your own laptop bypasses the hotspot and doesn't have to log and creating different user profiles etc etc.

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:04 pm

I don't know how much you would sell your kits with dealer price but they resell them with ripped-off price here :( wish I knew you earlier :D

I did use the setup button wizard and my modem did handout a DNS. I left "none" as option for hotspot SSL cetificate and completed the set up but all of my three computers have "limited or no activity" connection when trying to connect to the AP. Furthermore, internet browsers show page error when I tried to access the internet. There was NO login page. Note that I created a couple of users too. Question: could this be the wireless setting problem instead of hotspot problem? and how could I fix it?

Stuck again :(

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:11 am

Easiest wy to determine if it is potentially a wireless problem, is to create a hotspot on a spare ethernet interface, plug your pc into that and see if it directs you to a login page.

Did you leave the "Masquerade network" box ticked on the second page of the hotspot wizard?

Does your router have a default gw set and can it traceroute to the internet?

Can your PC traceroute (or ping) the hotspot?

when you connect to the wireless, What ip address does it get? is it the same as specified in the hotspot setup?

is the wireless interface on a different IP range than the address it receives from the ADSL modem?

a lot of questions........ if you are in Australia at the moment, feel free to give me a call during BH. Contact details on the web site. http://www.tasmanet.com.au

Regards Murray

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:08 am

G'day Murray,
It's good to know that there are good auzie tekos out there as the guys that helped me out with my problems are often from overseas (most of them from the us).

I went through and double checked the settings you suggested and realized that the wireless interface seems to be on a different IP range than the address it receives from the ADSL modem. I suspected this because the DHCP client setting in winbox could not detect any IP. I unplugged my modem (IP 10.1.1.1) from ether1 port and plugged in my old Dlink wireless router (IP 192.168.0.1) which is also connected to my modem and everything suddenly works! Any suggestion about how I could just use my modem and withou the old dlink wireless router? Do I have to manually change the IP of the modem?

Also, how do I customise the HotSpot login and error pages? Do I have to use ftp to replace these files and how? Is there another way?

Thank you again. I've started to see some light at the end of the tunnel :D

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:58 am

Yes, the wireless interface will need to be on a different ip range to that recieved from the modem. Your D-link wireless router is no doubt recievinf a 10.x.x.x/x IP from the modem and masquerading traffic onto the 192.168.x.x/x network that your pc is being given from the d-link box.

This is infact exactly what you are trying to achieve with the RB153, but with hotspot enabled :)

Does your router have a default gw set and can it traceroute to the internet by IP address?

Can your PC traceroute (or ping) the hotspot by IP address?

Can your PC traceroute out to the internet at IP level (not domain name)?

As far as customising the hotspot webpages - simply use an ftp client to connect to the MT box, Download the HTML files in the hotspot directory, edit them to what you like and upload them agian using ftp.

The other way to get the files on and off is by SCP if you happen to have a linux box handy.

Just to confuse things further - I think your ideal solution would be to configure your ADSL modem as a bridge and terminate the PPPoE session on the MT box (username and password on MT box not modem) - That way you don't have a double layer of NAT/Masquerade between your computers and the internet, and you end up with your real world IP address on your MT box. This will make it much easier if you need to open incoming ports to some computers to allow specific services to work.

p.s. feel free to give me call

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Murray,
doing pppoe via the Mikrotik router is indeed my ideal setup. Thank you for your generous offer, I will probably call you sometimes to obtain help this up. Just hope that you don't mind my horible accent especially on the phone :)
Regards
DK

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:45 am

Murray, I still could not organise to call you for help. I setup the router at home to use in my neighbourhood. It's outside of business hours when I finish work everyday. The only way for me to make it possible is ...to take a sicky :D

I just got another problem. I could connect to the wireless hotspot but the browser no longer redirect to to the log-in page but a common error page instead. This is what I got from the address bar when the browser desplaying the error page. "http://hotspot1/login?dst=http%3A%2F%2F ... .com.au%2F".

Plz help!

DK

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I found the problem. I messed arround and picked the wrong profile for the hotspot.
Current issues: connections through the hotspot (using the Ubiquiti SR2 mini PCI in the RB) is significantly slower (extremely slow-slower than dialup) comparing to through my old Dlink wireless router. Note that I have ADSL2+ with very good speed. It's even slower when DHCP client (ether1) is plugged directly to my modem than via the Dlink wireless router.
Quite frustrating!

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:42 pm

Do you have a rate limit set in your hotspot server profile (as aposed to your hotspot user profile). I assume you are manaully adding users (ie not using a radius server for user profiles)?

p.s. if you call me after hours you will hit the call centr and they will page me :)

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm

I reckon I will take a sicky soon :D
You are correct. I manually added the hotspot user as I tried to tick "Use Radius" box but it didn't work. I guess I need to do the correct setting for it to work. I also tried the walled-garden feature without success. Just couldn't by pass the login page :( I wish Mikrotik could have step-by-step instructions for all of these features!

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:25 am

Are you sure it is the hospot function that is not working? If you disable the hotspot and connect to the wireless, do you have internet access from your laptop? Can you trace via IP to an outside address? If yes, can you trace to an outside domain name?

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:54 am

G'day Murray, The hotspot function now works (I could login and use the internet) after I played arrount with it's settings (I just had to untick the "use Radius" tickbox in the hotspot server profile). My next Quest is to lean to use the Radius and Walled-garden function. Any asistance would be of great help. Ta

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:29 pm

excellent news. well walled garden is easy - just add hosts by name or ip address and then clients can ccess them without authenticating.

Radius - well if you only have one hotspot, its kind of pointless. First build yourself a radius server and then get the hotspot to allow clients to log in based on the database on the radius server. I have twenty or so connected back to one server. it means my users can use the same username and password across multiple locations etc.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:42 pm

excellent news. well walled garden is easy - just add hosts by name or ip address and then clients can ccess them without authenticating.

Radius - well if you only have one hotspot, its kind of pointless. First build yourself a radius server and then get the hotspot to allow clients to log in based on the database on the radius server. I have twenty or so connected back to one server. it means my users can use the same username and password across multiple locations etc.
----
yes, true...

for radius try with userman, that one of Mikrotik's features for manage your hotspot user,.... do it, when you are interesting...it's nice..

regads
Hasbullah.com
----

neyo2
just joined

Re: Initial setup configurations for RB153 RouterBoard Help

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:54 pm

hi kvan, can you post your config. script here so i can find a solution to my problem as well! :?