Community discussions

MikroTik App

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Easiest way to split WAN bandwidth between bridge1 devices?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi guys,
I was wondering, what is the easiest and simplest way to do a basic Internet bandwidth split\share or prioritization between connected devices say for example bridge1 (eth + wlan). I'm talking basic out of the box Routeros devices with WAN on eth1, bridge has the rest of eth ports and wlan as AP, DHCP server, no other firewall rules other than default ones, fasttrack enabled. Take for example a scenario where one PC forgets a .torrent download in the systray and eats up 80% of the bandwidth. I have several devices set up with different rules I found here on the forums and on Google but I was wondering if some other ways appeared since 1-2 years ago. It could be even split, some sort of load balancing, anything that prevents one device using almost all the WAN bandwidth.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Easiest way to split WAN bandwidth between bridge1 devices?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm afraid you need rather QoS (queues and possibly mangle rules) handling to limit the uplink bandwidth per LAN device. Load balancing of connections can distribute each device's connections among several uplinks but cannot prevent a single device from clogging the whole bandwidth of a given uplink even by a single connection. So look first at "simple queues", if they don't fulfil your needs, look at "queue tree".

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Easiest way to split WAN bandwidth between bridge1 devices?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Hey

Have a look a this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150535