Community discussions

mikh
just joined
Topic Author

micro stutter and (probably) bufferbloat in certain INTERVALS

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:06 pm

im using a mikrotik sextant g (RB911G-5HPnD) and have a 16mbps wireless internet connection. problem is, on certain intervals my ping goes like 40-50ms higher, starts fluctuating and i experience very annoying micro stutters in any game/server for a short period of time. before this happened in 5 minute intervals and 85 second periods. i called the isp and they changed some settings (they wouldnt tell me what they changed) and now it happens in 7 minute intervals but still in 85 second periods.

weird i know, whats funny is i had the exact same problem before i moved to my new house and. i called the isp provider and they fixed it by changing some settings on my end but now they cant for some reason.

do you guys have any ideas on where to trace the source of the problem and how to fix it?

for the record, this is exactly how it looks likehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uIVs42Rc2I

i tried the sfq method explained in stoplagging(trying to cap the dl speed). i followed all the steps but it doesnt seem to work, as my download and upload speed remain unchanged and the problem is still there.
link to the guide : https://www.stoplagging.com/mikrotik-box-method/

any help would be much appreciated guys, i have a career in esports and this is a huge deal for me. thank you

mikh
just joined
Topic Author

Re: micro stutter and (probably) bufferbloat in certain INTERVALS

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:18 pm

pls help...anything.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm

It simply sounds like your carrier may be experiencing some intermittent interference. This likely won't be something you can mitigate with your own settings so ask them to investigate and provide some proof of jitter.

A second point which unfortunately gets my fur up. If your career is dependant on it, why don't you have a backup solution, second service or an SLA? I speak to lots of businesses who "depend" on the internet for income and a lot don't have in case of emergency policies in place. If you are going to lose money from it not working then you need to invest the right money in the first place. #rantover
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

mikh
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 pm

It simply sounds like your carrier may be experiencing some intermittent interference. This likely won't be something you can mitigate with your own settings so ask them to investigate and provide some proof of jitter.

A second point which unfortunately gets my fur up. If your career is dependant on it, why don't you have a backup solution, second service or an SLA? I speak to lots of businesses who "depend" on the internet for income and a lot don't have in case of emergency policies in place. If you are going to lose money from it not working then you need to invest the right money in the first place. #rantover
whats gets on my nerves is that the intervals i mentioned start as soon as i get connected to the internet. its like the counter starts when my link goes up. if it was on the ISP's end i imagine the intervals would've stayed the same regardless of my connection.

i did have some alternatives, but I have recently moved to a new place and its not possible for me to use anything else and they overcharge the crap out of me with the service i already have...

mikh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 am

UPDATE :

so i think i managed to fix the problem, i changed a few things but i have to go back and change them again 1 by 1 to see exactly what fixed the problem since i was merely with the settings and didnt exactly know what i was doing. heres what i changed:

ETHERNET:

turned on TX/RX Flow control and only ticked 10M half and 10M Full on the advertise tab

turned on loop protect > send interval : 1 sec -- disable time : 25 min

WLAN:

turned off ARP

on advanced tab, set the disconnect timeout to 0 seconds

deleted the scan list and only set the frequency of the device i was connected to