Community discussions

MikroTik App

StudentSA
just joined
Topic Author

LTS vs Stable

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Good Day,

To jump straight to it, I am using a small Mikrotik HeX RB750Gr3 router in a remote production environment (in Africa) with limited access. I would like to know what is recommended from a firmware point of view.

The router comes out the box with RouterOS 6.45.1 however I see that RouterOS 6.44.5 (LTS) is the most recent LTS version (i.e. a downgrade) with RouterOS 6.45.3 being the latest stable version (i.e. an upgrade).

Should I stick to downgrading to LTS or move to the latest Stable release?

Kind Regards,
StudentSA

td32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: LTS vs Stable

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Remote location a continent away, stay on lts as long as you can, if you want to update wait weeks after a new release(lts) and read forum comments about that specific release, before even attempting to update.
Stable channel has been full of serious bugs lately.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:47 pm

As the device is so far away I'd also recommend having an identical device with a configuration as similar as possible to the remote device to test locally before deployment.

AFAIK it isn't possible to downgrade to a version earlier than the factory default.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:53 pm

When the router came with 6.45.1, downgrading to the 6.44 LTS version is not an option.
I would recommend upgrading it to the current stable release while you have physical access to it, and then keep it at that until some new critical vulnerability is found.
When at that time 6.45.x is the LTS version, switch to that release and remain on it.

StudentSA
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info, Will stick to LTS then.

I have been successful in downgrading to LTS by uploading the LTS release files obtained from https://mikrotik.com/download/archive to the router.
Then in System->Packages I selected the "Downgrade" button.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:04 am

Ok maybe someone had already upgraded it then. Normally you cannot downgrade below the version that comes on the device from the factory.
This version is listed under System->Resources in the field "Factory software".
But it could be that a dealer has upgraded it from a known security-vulnerable version to 6.45.1
In that case you will find a lower version number in Factory software, like 6.40

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Stable channel has been full of serious bugs lately.
Not only Stable, some month ago MT change some Wifi handling that did break lots of wifi links on both LTS and Stable.
Problem was some function some used that was not correct for their country, and when MT changed it by force, it did gave problems.

So wait week after a new release has come out before upgrade, and read forum.
If its a small cheap device, have a unit extra with same config for some to swap.