Community discussions

MikroTik App

theprojectgroup
Topic Author

Can't get IPv6 Address via DHCP Client on MikroTik

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Hey All,

I can't get an IPv6 address on my MikroTik via DHCPv6 Client.

My Setup at my home office is like this:

Vodafone Germany Docsis 3.1 Cable ISP < > Arris Cable Modem/Router < SWITCH > Clients on LAN, WLAN, etc. and also the MikroTik is connected
(Dual Stack, IPv4 and IPv6) Acts as normal Router with
IPv4 NAT and all clients on the LAN
also get an IPv6 address, except the MT

I just want the MT to get an IPv6, no prefix delegation, etc.
On my clients I get IPs, what am I missing?
Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 15.46.16.png
Monosnap 2019-08-29 15-47-02.png
Best regards and thx for any advice...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Can't get IPv6 Address via DHCP Client on MikroTik

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:13 pm

If all you want is a IPv6 host address without PD to populate the pool, then you need to get rid of the pool configuration.
That assumes that the cable modem/router is serving as the v6 dhcp server (which it appears to be based on the client screen shot).

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:40 pm

And what happens when you change other device's "Configure IPv6" option to "only DHCPv6" (if such option exists there)? Does it still get address? In other words, are you sure that you have DHCPv6 server in your network? Because IPv6 can also use simpler SLAAC (autoconfiguration). RouterOS sort of supports that too, but it's not great. It can be enabled with:
/ipv6 settings set accept-router-advertisements=yes
But even when it gets the address, you won't see it anywhere, you'll need to find it using e.g. Tools->Torch when you ping some external IPv6 address.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

theprojectgroup
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 pm

If all you want is a IPv6 host address without PD to populate the pool, then you need to get rid of the pool configuration.
That assumes that the cable modem/router is serving as the v6 dhcp server (which it appears to be based on the client screen shot).
Hey, thx for the hint. I'm wondering how to do that. I already just requested an address in the dhcp client config.
And what happens when you change other device's "Configure IPv6" option to "only DHCPv6" (if such option exists there)? Does it still get address? In other words, are you sure that you have DHCPv6 server in your network? Because IPv6 can also use simpler SLAAC (autoconfiguration). RouterOS sort of supports that too, but it's not great. It can be enabled with:
/ipv6 settings set accept-router-advertisements=yes
But even when it gets the address, you won't see it anywhere, you'll need to find it using e.g. Tools->Torch when you ping some external IPv6 address.
I guess this is the hint I needed:
Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 22.13.52.png
As soon I enabled router advertisements I'm able to ping IPv6 addresses.
As you mentioned the support in RouterOS is very bad, you don't see the IP anywhere.
I doubt you can configure macOS to act as DHCPv6 client so i bet you're right it just does SLAAC...

@Mikrotik: any plans when SLAAC will be better supported?

Thx a lot for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 am

Google says that Macs can do DHCPv6. Of course you need to have the server first.

For RouterOS as SLAAC client, I wouldn't hold my breath. It's something you don't normally need for router. It can make sense for non-router use, e.g. as management address for AP. But most people don't really need global address for that, so they can as well use IPv4, hardly anyone has IPv6-only network yet. And even for routers, I can imagine use cases where it could be useful. If it was configurable per-interface, preferably in a form of pseudo-dhcp client, with ability to run "lease" scripts, together with working policy routing, ... it could be nice backup management access. If this happens, it probably won't be before RouterOS v7, and that's a long-term project.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

theprojectgroup
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm

In my case my cable ISP doesn't allow bridge mode, so i must use the crappy modem/router of them. I use the mikrotik as vpn gateway, ssh server, etc. This is why I want it to have an ipv6 address.
Currently it's only reachable via ipv4 behind nat / dst-nat for ssh, ipsec, etc.