Community discussions

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Quick Set

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:27 am

Trying to understand why quick set has my guest IP as my local address instead of my personal network 10.0.8.1. Is it because ether5, which is where my guest resides, is the only ether port that's not a slave? Even if I disable ether5, quick set still shows my guest IP address as local network. If I want my personal address to show in quick set, removing the slave designation from ether2 and make it a master port would make that happened? I never liked how this defconf bridge sh*t work. Or, it would be cool to make ports ether3 and ether4 as well as the defconf bridge slave to ether 2.
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 10.39.42 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Quick Set

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 pm

The secret of Quick Set (well, it's not really a secret) is that you either use it exclusively and forget that anything outside of it exists, or you use it once to create initial config and then forget that Quick Set exists. Seeing wrong addresses in Quick Set is a sign that you made some changes outside of it, now you're trying to use it again and expect that the other config somehow survives. Don't do that.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:18 pm

The secret of Quick Set (well, it's not really a secret) is that you either use it exclusively and forget that anything outside of it exists, or you use it once to create initial config and then forget that Quick Set exists. Seeing wrong addresses in Quick Set is a sign that you made some changes outside of it, now you're trying to use it again and expect that the other config somehow survives. Don't do that.

Well Sob. I had initially used the quick set to set up the router; however, I had to use ether5 for my guest network and the only way to achieve that were to remove ether5 from the bridge. Quick set was never setup with the guest network addresses, and the only way to remove it is to disable the IP address for ether5..see image below.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 10.58.21 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Please read his reply again.
After you have changed something using another menu item (like you did), do NOT look at Quick Set again. Forget that it exists.
Quick Set does NOT work correctly anymore after you have made another change.

We have asked MikroTIk many times to remove Quick Set after another change has been made, to solve this issue, but they do not listen.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Being a more novice user I dont agree to remove any functionality, but do concur that quickset is only designed to ensure a novice user can have a basic config up and running with no fuss no muss.
After that, as noted do not rely on quickset. Later on with more experience you will understand what quickset does in terms of routing and other functions. Most of the time, when going past quickset one has to learn how to undo the quickset settings as they eventually get in the way.

What is important is one learns early about the save your ass button!! SAFE MODE upper right left of winbox menu.
ALWAYS ALWAYS start there and click that button as a matter of habit.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:17 pm

Please read his reply again.
After you have changed something using another menu item (like you did), do NOT look at Quick Set again. Forget that it exists.
Quick Set does NOT work correctly anymore after you have made another change.

We have asked MikroTIk many times to remove Quick Set after another change has been made, to solve this issue, but they do not listen.

Okay, I'll just forget...it's not as if someone else will see it anyway!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:11 am

Someone else will see it, make the same mistake and learn from that. I guess it has to be that way. ;) Of course MikroTik could add some warning to make it more clear what Quick Set does and what are its limitations. The thing itself is not bad, simple interface for beginners is useful, but there's no way how it could correctly deal with all possible changes made outside of it.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.