Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

guiseppe
just joined
Topic Author

HELP NEEDED

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi guys,

We installed a Microtik system used to share over 15 computers. Recently we switched internet providers and the system is no longer working as i understood is that our provider has disabled the sharing over the network. We use PPPOE in order to connect and as i spoke to the network admin he said that he has no problem in opening closed ports as long as i provide them. So please can someone help me in this matter.

Best regards,

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:33 pm

The most likely reason is your DNS servers are set to the wrong value. You usually need to use the DNS Servers specific to your ISP. Your old ISP may not allow access to their DNS servers from outside their network.

guiseppe
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:05 am

No i asked them and they said they have all sharing closed i don't know how they did it.

firebat

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:54 am

Were you running NAT? I assume you only had one public IP from your old provider and that all of your computers on are a private LAN?

guiseppe
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:28 am

Well here's the thing we connect via PPPOE we get a private IP i guess it's natted to the ISP public IP. As for our internal lan it's all private. As i understood from the local admin is that Microtik uses a range of ports which will allow it to nat over nat. This is what they require in order for it to work.