Community discussions

MikroTik App

irobot
just joined
Topic Author

Seeing 3rd party Mikrotik's SW version

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 am

Hello

I have been trying WiFi Scan on hap lite for quite some time and today discovered one interesting thing.
I'm able to see 3rd party mikrotik's details like this (screenshot attached).

Couldn't find anything related to this in the documentation. I don't mind to see someone else's router details, but, I don't want a situation if my device somehow tells the same information to anyone (Software version).

Could you please help me out?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Seeing 3rd party Mikrotik's SW version

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 pm

What you want is security through obscurity.
This is a bad idea, giving you a false sense of added safety, which is not the case. Probing and exploiting a vulnerability is fast, and doesn't rely on those details to select a target.
You should set up your network in such a way that it should not matter if others know your device manufacturer and firmware version or not.
BTW, the BSSID gives good enough hints about the device, and it can not be hidden...

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 pm

irobot
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:33 pm

What you want is security through obscurity.
This is a bad idea, giving you a false sense of added safety, which is not the case. Probing and exploiting a vulnerability is fast, and doesn't rely on those details to select a target.
You should set up your network in such a way that it should not matter if others know your device manufacturer and firmware version or not.
BTW, the BSSID gives good enough hints about the device, and it can not be hidden...
Great to hear, but still not getting, why this information is visible to everyone.
And I'm aware of probing and exploiting as well. And understand your concern about false sense of safety.
But, all additional security enhancements might help. So, I would expect to have an option to disable it.

irobot
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 pm

thank you!
that's exactly what I wanted to find :)