Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

mad802
just joined
Topic Author

Tftp Server

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Although this is a forum, im a bit certain ill get flamed for this ..but anywho: A tftp server would be a nice implementation to the mikrotik edition. Some might argue that there is no "use" for it and that a router is a router and not a dns server***, web-proxy, ftp server, ntp server (hope my logic is lucid).... Im quite certain such an implementation would be menial, not to say im undermining the work of the coders. There are many of us that for example backend a cmts or dslam that need to upgrade the firmware of devices on a regular* basis and having a dedicated computer just for a tftp server seems a bit inane to me. :?

Regards

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 am

as you already mentioned all thoese protocols and servers that are already implemented into a routerOS - they are all essential to routing and network administration.

as http and ftp are not essential for that there is only basic things provided from both of them.

mad802
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:05 am

What you said is understood, however I think its a bit odd you negated the tftp function as being non critical. In fact I think it would prove itself as being more "useful" than ftp - dns, which is why I sorta question their existence in the routerOS, arent we routing/provisioning here? - Even if this proposed feature cannot be integrated into v3 or v2.9, a standalone npk/package would be EXCELLENT! - as us tftp users can electively install it and well those that oppose can live happily ever after! :lol:

Regards.

Ps. If you feel tftp would be a nice feature, FEEL FREE TO ADD! - as I'm only one voice.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am

please give an example situation where a TFTP server would be very useful on a Router ?

mad802
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Appr. the reply.

A favorable situation would be in the instance of Mikrotik box serving as the backbone for a cmts (small/large scale) ... many argue that every cmts unit has a built in tftp server but that is simply not the case and in the event that one is present it is not "easily" configurable/accessible. The rest I suppose is self explanatory.

Another instance that comes to mind is where the "tik" box is used as the core of the network and serves third party cpe's that require regular upgrades and/or config files.

Im sure there are alot of semi-important scenarios that can be said here but im to weary to list all.

Regards.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:41 pm

The Dude serves this same purpose. You can upgrade all the units at once. Also, RouterOS already has the remote upgrade feature which essentially does the same. http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... pgrade.php

kiko69
just joined

Fri May 04, 2007 4:20 am

While I can't think of a good reason to run a tftp server ON the router, I can think of several reasons to have the router be able to reach a tftp server.

Cisco can server upgrades and configs via tftp.

Since I don't usuallly use a windows machine, either a Mac or Sun box, I would really like to be able to use a standard tftp server to upgrade the router.

I recently had to borrow a friends laptop to be able to upgrade my router. :(

mag

Fri May 04, 2007 10:59 am

Since I don't usuallly use a windows machine, either a Mac or Sun box, I would really like to be able to use a standard tftp server to upgrade the router.
simply use scp. works perfect.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 04, 2007 4:31 pm

please give an example situation where a TFTP server would be very useful on a Router ?
I've connected buildings via wireless and use Coax Adapters indoor
to reach the users. The Coax adapters get their IP via DHCP and
then load their config via TFTP. So it would be handy to have
tftp built into the wireless router at the head end. As this would
keep stuff local to the building.

Stefan

warwick09
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Ah yes, keep the reasons coming ... Ive been trying for years* to convince the tik users how important a tftp server would be. Well in my opinion far more than a ntp or even dns ... but ah well 8)

Regards.

kiko69
just joined

Sun May 06, 2007 3:34 am

simply use scp. works perfect.
My router was in a situation where it required the netinstall application to recover from a failed upgrade.

If it had been able to retrieve the update via tftp I would not have needed to borrow the windows box.