Community discussions

MikroTik App

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

PWR-LINE PRO

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 am

Hi all!
Couple of days ago i bought a pair of PWR-LINE PRO. Install and sync - ok. But after some time (30m-1h) network connectivity between Routers(HexPOE) are lost (or huge and missing pings).
PWR-LINE PRO - in Sync state, LED is ON, Routers port are UP and 1000G FD negotiated. But no RX/TX.
So if i power off one of PWR-LINE PRO device and power on again - connectivity become OK, but for 30m-1h.. What's gonna be ?

Thanks.

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PWR-LINE PRO

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:29 pm

The main problem is - how to do diagnostics?
PWR-LINE Pro - has no management interfaces, no IP, etc.

kristsd

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:35 pm

You could try to re-link both of the devices.
Hold 5 – 8 seconds. A new security key is generated. This is needed to remove a PWR-LINE PRO device from an existing PWR network.
after that, re-link -
Hold 0.5 – 3 seconds. For 120 seconds will try to communicate with another PWR-LINE PRO device.

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 pm

You could try to re-link both of the devices.
Hold 5 – 8 seconds. A new security key is generated. This is needed to remove a PWR-LINE PRO device from an existing PWR network.
after that, re-link -
Hold 0.5 – 3 seconds. For 120 seconds will try to communicate with another PWR-LINE PRO device.
Already do this. Even more - Hold 8-15 sec and reset both devices. And than sync them - same issue.

Is there any "Powerline AV Utility" for Mikrotik ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Those devices have no software (no OS), so this is the reason why you can't connect to them and there is no "utility".
Did you try to connect them to other outlets, to put them closer to each other?

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Those devices have no software (no OS), so this is the reason why you can't connect to them and there is no "utility".
i will try this later today. but if the problem in wire why LED "Sync" are ON?

i know that they have no OS, but other vendors provide utility to remote FW upgrade/diagnostic.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 pm

Are they plugged directly into the wall (not via power bars etc)??

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

Are they plugged directly into the wall (not via power bars etc)??
Thru couple of 16A automatic switches and DIN attached outlets. Cable length ~50m.

Yesterday i put first PWR-LINE PRO closer to second one - without 16A auto switches and cable length - 10m . For now connection looks stable.
So my problem looks solved for now.

http://prntscr.com/p4lngc

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 am

Automatic fuses/switches are killing powerline. Same as wireless through reinforced concrete.
Parallel cable runs help somewhat ... as does a window in that concrete wall for wireless.

xocolate
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Automatic fuses/switches are killing powerline. Same as wireless through reinforced concrete.
Parallel cable runs help somewhat ... as does a window in that concrete wall for wireless.
I think "Wago" is a root cause in my case

ygalmaster
just joined

Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm

how can you sync 3 pwr-line Pro on the same electrical circuit

alexlp
just joined

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:42 pm

How can I sync 3+ devices PWR-LINE PRO?

I have two synchronized (1, 2). So I set both (1, 2) into sync mode, then start syncing for 3rd device. After 120 secs no changes, third device not in network. Same if I run sync with 1, 3 or 2, 3 pairs. I also tried to press sync button for 10-15 secs, and then repeat action.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Sorry for hijacking thread, but for those who use PWR-LINE PRO - do you get additional latency? I've never used EoP devices before.

I've heard stories that when using such devices you might get somewhat 30ms latency, even tho internet connectivity is rock stable. Just want to hear if it's true.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:44 pm

do you get additional latency? I've never used EoP devices before.

You do get some additional latency. A pair of EoP devices means two additional ethernet switches and they mostly work in store&forward mode which means it first receives whole frame and then transmits it through another interface. At 1Gbps with full size frames (1500 bytes is 12kbits) that means 0.08ms ... at 100Mbps thats almost 1ms. And speed over power line can be even lower than 100Mbps, really depends on particular installation ... and in that case the store&forward delay can be even longer. I think most of devices even perform some kind of CRC checks and do retransmitting on EoP connection .. if retransmits happen, then it's seen as additional delay.
Additionally most devices encrypt frames when sending through EoP interface and decrypt when receiving from EoP interface. Encryption/decryption delay depends on particular device, but I'd expect delay in order of 0.5ms per device.

Practical experience with EoP devices by another manufacturer: net throughput over EoP pair is around 40Mbps (half-duplex!). One PC connects to hAP (100 Mbps ethernet) directly, another one to same hAP over a pair of EoP devices. Ping from first device to hAP shows 0.35ms RTT (almost no RTT jitter) while ping from first to second device shows RTT times between 3.3 and 6 ms (considerable jitter).
According to my experience 30ms delay shows really poor EoP conditions ... or trash of EoP devices used.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:52 pm

This is wrong, just download any Powerline Software an you can take a look to the Powerline rated, and on some devices to the spectrum.

djmanas
just joined

Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:30 am

How come, that in original manual there is, connect to power, connect ethernet and go to 192.168.88.1, but its not working...

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/PWR-LINE+PRO

dmitris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Sorry for hijacking thread, but for those who use PWR-LINE PRO - do you get additional latency? I've never used EoP devices before.

I've heard stories that when using such devices you might get somewhat 30ms latency, even tho internet connectivity is rock stable. Just want to hear if it's true.
I have, two of PWR-LINE PRO and i'm totally disappointed...There is 20-30 ms persistent delay and also i noticed some huge spikes in latency. even if EoP devices connected directly to each other.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:08 pm

I have, two of PWR-LINE PRO and i'm totally disappointed...There is 20-30 ms persistent delay and also i noticed some huge spikes in latency. even if EoP devices connected directly to each other.
PWR LIne is for people afraid of drills!
They make huge drill bits these days and one can always rent a bigger drill. If you have rented a jack hammer, you are my hero!!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 pm

If you have rented a jack hammer, you are my hero!!

If I owned a jack hammer, what would that make me?

dmitris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:26 pm

PWR LIne is for people afraid of drills!
They make huge drill bits these days and one can always rent a bigger drill. If you have rented a jack hammer, you are my hero!!
Actually i have drill...I was just curious and think that Mikrotik team made some miracle and advertised devices works well, but i was wrong, no miracle at all. =)))

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:39 pm

I have a non-working couple of mikrotik pwr-line power supplies that I have used for some time with a couple of mAP Lite, mostly as travel routers. Those are roughly like a 100 Mbps ethernet line (or less, depending on how noisy is the power line); those added ~10-30 ms latency for me. They stopped working one year ago after a software upgrade and I have never been able to have them working again, really low quality products.

For my current home I needed a permanent pwr-line solution, so I bought a couple of no-name "1GHz" adaptors, and those are working now at ~300 Mbps and giving me a ping latency of 3-5 ms. I didn't got the pwr-line pro because it was twice as expensive (I got the pair I needed for the price of 1 pwr-line pro), and also because of the bad experience I had previously with the pwr-line power supplies.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm

Could you share with us what are the no-name version models, maybe a link where you bought them?

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 05, 2021 11:08 am

Could you share with us what are the no-name version models, maybe a link where you bought them?
They were Tenda PH6 https://www.tendacn.com/en/product/PH6.html (I got them via some amazon ad when I was looking for the pwr-line pro at a good price).

Now, to get kind-of back on Topic, they showed a big problem for me: they have a fixed l2mtu of 1500. So a number of things were tricky to set up or not functional: it behaves like an ethernet connection but no "jumbo" packets go through. This is bad in today's world, where a lot of ONT-CAPSMAN setups assume that packets bigger than 1500 can be routed through the internet. And, worse, there is no way to detect it for the machines both sides of it...

I found some information on the internet that says that the homeplug-av protocol has no way to support >1500 MTUs, but I have not been able to confirm. There is little documentation about it out there.
I tried to do some experiments with the pwrline power supplies I have but, as I said, they are broken.

Anyone knows the pwr-line pro maximum l2mtu?

DJGlooM

Tue May 25, 2021 4:08 pm

Hey Normis! Trying to hijack post again. Does MikroTik have the exact tech specs for pwr line pro? Just need to know more about physics of the device. I remember reading that it'll work with L and N only too, but with PE it can work faster. So I believe as any other PLC device it need the pair of devices to be on common L wire right? Also maybe there is info about automatic switches interference with PLC too? Cant google anything there to be honest.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Here's my experience with another vendor's PLC devices but since PLC is same standard for everybody it probably applies to MT gadgets as well:
  • they work mostly equally good/bad with or without PE wire
  • they operate best if they're on the same circuit (i.e. no fuses either blow or automatic in the way)
  • they operate best if connected directly to outlets, any soft wires (as used for extension cords) degrade performance
  • blow fuses degrade performance slightly
  • they work (but notably worse) when connected to different phases as long as there's a good stretch of both/all L wires pulled together (inductive cross-talk between wires helps here, the longer parallel run, the higher crosstalk)
  • automatic fuses kill performance almost completely

SecMaster
just joined

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:15 am

Good day!
Please tell me how to use PWR-LINE PRO in a three-phase electrical network at home, if the sockets are on different phases? Do I need to install additionally 3 PWR-LINE PRO near the input of three phases and connect them with a switch?
The neutral will be unifying. How does this affect speed?

DJGlooM

Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:09 pm

Good day!
Please tell me how to use PWR-LINE PRO in a three-phase electrical network at home, if the sockets are on different phases? Do I need to install additionally 3 PWR-LINE PRO near the input of three phases and connect them with a switch?
The neutral will be unifying. How does this affect speed?
Too late but for later purposes I'll reply:
basically, PLC devici is a modem which uses high frequency signal over wire just like DSL, but much faster. So anything in between two devices except wire interfere with the signal. The worst of course is UPS, then automatic switches and then power hubs and long power cables.
About 3 phases - it wont work. I believe PLC uses base signal and modulations, so at least 2 common wires should be available for PLC devices. In case when devices are on different L wires they could have common N and PE, but PE is not mandatory, so there's only N left and no other common wire to operate.

Just for statistics:
PWR-LINE-PRO, both are connected to wall sockets, short power cable (box), 2 automatic switches on the way, total length I believe around 20 meters of quality copper and i get stable 150 mbits, delay is around 2 ms without traffic and up to 200 ms with full load.