Community discussions

JamesT42
just joined
Topic Author

How do I get dot1x back for smips?

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi!
dot1x was removed in 6.45.3 for smips devices.
"smips - reduced RouterOS main package size (disabled LTE modem, dot1x and SwOS support); "
This affects my hAP lite and some customers of mine. Is there a way to get it back? Is it available as separate package somewhere?

Cheers,
James

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do I get dot1x back for smips?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 am

It looks like currently you're out of luck. It could perhaps return in v7, where the main package is supposed to be smaller, so it could fit again. But it will take a while. Separate package could be possible too, but MikroTik probably won't be too eager to make it. I don't need this myself, but I hope it doesn't set a trend. Having all features available on all devices is (ok, was) really great feature of RouterOS.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do I get dot1x back for smips?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50 am

Hi!
dot1x was removed in 6.45.3 for smips devices.
"smips - reduced RouterOS main package size (disabled LTE modem, dot1x and SwOS support); "
This affects my hAP lite and some customers of mine. Is there a way to get it back? Is it available as separate package somewhere?

Cheers,
James
please don't be so dramatic

this feature It has not been in stable operation for less than 2 months

i think for some features the better way is to invest 20 USD on full hAP version specially for serious bussines, smips devices are falling short on storage and ram memory to be up to the task of supporting a lot of new features released

JamesT42
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How do I get dot1x back for smips?  [SOLVED]

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 pm

After buying another device without these limitations it turns out that the dot1x module (at least as a client) does not provide any log entries so it is impossible to find errors. (because my customers do not have acces to the authenticator server logs). So the issue is resolved anyway, but unfortunate for Mikrotik as they miss out on potentialliy hundreds of sales over the next years.