Community discussions

MikroTik App

seb13
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: Add LTE to WAN Interface List by default

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Using the default config, RouterOS adds a dynamic 0.0.0.0/0 route, when I connect an USB LTE device. However, it does not add the new LTE Interface to the WAN Interface List. This is necessary for clients to use the route (i.e. LTE) for internet access, as the default masquerade firewall nat rule matches on the WAN List.

From my perspective, RouterOS should add the LTE Interface to the WAN List by default, and make it an option in LTE APN like "Use Peer DNS", and "Add Default Route". What do you think?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Add LTE to WAN Interface List by default

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Currently the interface list named "WAN" is only part of default config. But it doesn't have to exist at all, and if it does, it may not necessarily mean WAN (why would someone do that is another question, but it's possible). So either the list would have to be selectable, or it would have to be hardcoded to always exist. But it would need bigger plan, how much of such hardcoded stuff we want to have.

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

In IPsec a add-to-list option is hurting added, this would be similar, I guess

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 pm

As far as I know WAN and LAN interface lists are meant to be used by the Detect internet feature. Which is supposed to be interface type agnostic.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm

LAN and WAN interface lists are extensively used in default firewall filter lists. But then LTE interface is not configured by default.
But then, if "add default route" option is available, so should be "add to interface list" option with drop-down list to select from.
Rationale: if LTE is meant to act as WAN interface, then without adding default route setup is not complete. And without enabling src-nat it's not complete either.