Community discussions

KTKTKT
just joined
Topic Author

Does RouterOS or switch have an cloud managable interface?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:10 am

Hi all
Mikrotik newb here, I'm looking for cloud solutions of a router+switch+AP for a midsized house installation.
I've been searching for "cloud management" interface on Mikrotik but still havnt have any clue of how it's possible to manage by the cloud, and from what.
The fact that the name cloud router/switch got my attention, not so sure if it's what i'm looking for.

Alternatives I've been looking is Zyxel Nebula, UBNT cloud controller and also Netgear , they all have similar approach to cloud management, from web portal to manage whatever is deployed.

Can anyone give me an idea of cloud management concept for Mikrotik devices? Price wise this is a winner, hope this can achieve something like those brands.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Does RouterOS or switch have an cloud managable interface?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am

RouterOS can be managed from cloud based ACS servers using the TR-069 protocol.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

KTKTKT
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:05 am

okay...maybe there's options to store backup configs and such
correct me if i'm wrong from a few articles, the idea of cloud in Mikrotik is it that the devices running routerOS has to get a cloud IP first (which in the format of a domain like from a DDNS)
then by accessing the domain I can connect to my devices from WAN to achieve cloud.
Is that right?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am

No ...

MikroTik RouterOS has some features for convenience, like getting a Dynamic DNS name or storing Backup files in the MikroTik servers.
But if you want a central management server, where you can manage all your MikroTik devices, you can use TR-069 with your own ACS server. You don't need cloud backup or DNS name for that.

P.S: You should first decide what you mean by the word "cloud".

KTKTKT
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 am

well...my expectation of cloud is centralized management hosted by Mikrotik
What is in the package that uses "cloud" is my question, sorry for not making it clear.

I'm actually very confused of the model names"Cloud Router Switch" "Cloud Smart Switch" whereas I was hoping to get an answer of what type of cloud or what are the cloud features it has to offer for the CRS routerOS, and for CSS switch what is available via cloud (if theres a difference)
I couldn't find any information related to cloud other than backup restores...maybe it's my problem, but that's why I ended here asking these questions.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am

Cloud is a marketing term, it means something else to different people. Cloud is a bunch of hardware linked together in a bigger infrastructure. You can use MikroTik switches to build it, hence the name.

"/ip cloud" menu, like I already explained, currently houses ability to store backups in the mikrotik "cloud", or get a free DNS name.

For true central management, use TR069 https://www.axiros.com/
It supports MikroTik devices very well.

KTKTKT
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Cloud is a marketing term, it means something else to different people. Cloud is a bunch of hardware linked together in a bigger infrastructure. You can use MikroTik switches to build it, hence the name.
Ahh...okay, I get the concept now, agree there's a gap between clouds and how it's implemented.

I'll check it out TR069 https://www.axiros.com/ , fist glance looks kinda what i'm looking for, I'll get a unit to mix it up, thanks!