Community discussions

MikroTik App

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Is MikrotikOS good enough to support two networks independent of each other? (one needs PPPoE)

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Please see attached hand drawn diagram. Right now there is no Mikrotik installed but I would like to add it like I drew on the diagram. I would like Mikrotik to dedicated 5 Mbps UP/DOWN for phones at all times and to also act as a bottleneck *switch* OR *router* and allows PPPoE to pass through to ISP modem to allow the "3rd party router" to do PPPoE authentication. The "3rd party router" is now connected directly to ISP modem and both ISP modem and "3rd party router" do PPPoE authentication and each get a separate public IP. This ISP allows for two public IPs to be obtained: one by ISP modem and one by a 3rd party router connected to ISP modem.

Problem: "The 3rd party router" is not in my control and uses all the bandwidth and the admin is not willing to help.
Solution trying to implement: Do traffice shaping by MikroTik HeX router and allow ISP modem/router to give IPs and make Ethernet-5 on HeX in switch mode (or router mode) but dedicate it 5 Mbps up / down and allow Ethernet-1 (also in switch mode) for "3rd party router" to obtain it's public IP.

Is this possible by adding Mikrotik? The goal is to allow "3rd party router" have a public IP so no NAT management is required and to give phones switch dedicated 5Mbps up/down.

Thanks,

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Is MikrotikOS good enough to support two networks independent of each other? (one needs PPPoE)

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:14 am

Anyone?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is MikrotikOS good enough to support two networks independent of each other? (one needs PPPoE)

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 am

The question is if you are able to make PPPoE connection from "internal" router to receive public address if there is no Mikrotik "in the middle"?
What do Mikrotik should do in your opinion?

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 pm

The question is if you are able to make PPPoE connection from "internal" router to receive public address if there is no Mikrotik "in the middle"?
What do Mikrotik should do in your opinion?
Yes, internal router CAN PPPoE authenticate and get a public IP from ISP while it's connected downstream to ISP modem (in absentee of Mikrotik).

I would like Mikrotik to be present for the following reasons:
1- To reach it and ping it when I need to test the connection.
2- To segregate VoIP network from Data network (run by Internal Router)
3- Most importantly, to shape bandwidth so that I can allocate 2Mbps to VoIP switch network (at all times) and 8Mbps to Internal Router consumption.

Is this possible?

NetWorker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Yes, it is possible. RouterOS is not going to be a limitation and CPU power in a Hex is plenty for distributing those 8 mbps.

Just use queues and separate the interfaces from the switch chip.

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:38 am

Yes, it is possible. RouterOS is not going to be a limitation and CPU power in a Hex is plenty for distributing those 8 mbps.

Just use queues and separate the interfaces from the switch chip.
Thanks for confirmation.

First step, how should I configure a Mikrotik interface to allow the Internal Router to still PPPoE authenticate to ISP?

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:27 am

Anyone?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:37 am

Create a PPPoE client...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:45 am

Create a PPPoE client...

Create PPPoE client on what device? and how? Not sure what you mean. Internal Route has only one way of connecting PPPoE. Do you mean I should do PPPoE authentication on Mikotik and pass the public IP to Internal Router?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:03 pm

You can do that too.. PPPoE works in layer2.. so as long as you stay there the PPPoE client will discover the PPPoE server...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 pm

You can do that too..
1- What do you mean by that? What is the alternative?
2- Can bandwidth shaping happen for Layer 2 as well?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:37 pm

1. You said you want your internal router to PPPoE authenticate with your ISP right? For this to happen you should have a layer2 tunnel between your internal router and the ISPs router...

2. How does an ISP limit your Up / Down? Yes you can...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:45 pm

1. You said you want your internal router to PPPoE authenticate with your ISP right? For this to happen you should have a layer2 tunnel between your internal router and the ISPs router...
What should be the port configuration for Layer 2 for:
ISP Modem >(Layer 2)>Mikrotik>(Layer 2)>Internal Router

I will use WAN port on a HeX for ISP Modem to Mikrotik and Eth-2 for Mikrotik to Internal Router.

Should port 1 and 2 be set to Switch mode? Would firewall be enabled for this?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Layer 2 means no routing.. Data link layer.. Mac addresses....

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I understand but new to Mikrotik so what is the command that should run to make eth1 and eth2 prepared for this?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm

I understand but new to Mikrotik so what is the command that should run to make eth1 and eth2 prepared for this?
If you Bridge two interfaces then they are on the same Layer 2 network.
For example, i could have my ISPs router connected with a mikrotik router that works with a dhcp client.. Lets say i have a bridge named Bridge witch has ports ether1 and ether2. I can use dhcp client on that Bridge so i can have internet to my first router. Then I use either ether1 or ether2 (the one that is free) to connect it to my second mikrotik router that has a PPPoE client on his ether1...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:41 am

If you Bridge two interfaces then they are on the same Layer 2 network.
For example, i could have my ISPs router connected with a mikrotik router that works with a dhcp client.. Lets say i have a bridge named Bridge witch has ports ether1 and ether2. I can use dhcp client on that Bridge so i can have internet to my first router. Then I use either ether1 or ether2 (the one that is free) to connect it to my second mikrotik router that has a PPPoE client on his ether1...
Can I limit speed on that bridge which is layer-2 and used for PPPoE?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Assign a rate limit in the profile of the PPPoE server...
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:P ... r_Profiles
Check the rate limit in the above link..

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 am

Assign a rate limit in the profile of the PPPoE server...
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:P ... r_Profiles
Check the rate limit in the above link..
Is rate limit same as queues?
On IRC channel people said that Queues limits will break PPPoE authentication. Is that true?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Why dont you test it?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Here are some example configs and a diagram that should point you in the right direction. A few notes on this - I tried to keep the config as simplistic as possible since you're dealing with very low speeds. There are more efficient ways to do this, but it requires more config. Also, I used 10M download and 1M upload as the values for the ISP connection - these will need to be adjusted to the actual values.

Here is an overview of the solution

Configuration

First you need to create a bridge for the ports and add them to the bridge.

/interface bridge
add name=Shared-LAN

/interface bridge port
add bridge=Shared-LAN interface=ether1
add bridge=Shared-LAN interface=ether2
add bridge=Shared-LAN interface=ether3

Then you need to add the simple queue rules which will classify the traffic and prioritize accordingly

/queue simple
add max-limit=1M/10M name=All-ISP-Bandwidth target=Shared-LAN
add limit-at=768k/5M max-limit=1M/10M name=Phones parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=1/1 target=192.168.2.0/24
add max-limit=1M/10M name=3rd-party-router parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=2/2 target=""

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm

IPANetEngineer what if he adds a rate limit in the profile of the PPPoE server? Won't that add a dynamic simple queue?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:04 am

If I read the OP correctly, he does not have control of the PPPoE server.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Ok.. can you remind me if the rate limit adds a dynamic queue?

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Here are some example configs and a diagram that should point you in the right direction. A few notes on this - I tried to keep the config as simplistic as possible since you're dealing with very low speeds. There are more efficient ways to do this, but it requires more config. Also, I used 10M download and 1M upload as the values for the ISP connection - these will need to be adjusted to the actual values.

Configuration

/interface bridge
add name=Shared-LAN

/interface bridge port

Then you need to add the simple queue rules which will classify the traffic and prioritize accordingly

/queue simple
add limit-at=768k/5M max-limit=1M/10M name=Phones parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=1/1 target=192.168.2.0/24
add max-limit=1M/10M name=3rd-party-router parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=2/2 target=""
Thanks for the diagram and the command lines. This is beautifully explained. I have implemented this with bit changes to speed and Upload seems to work just fine but download is splitting between Ether-2 and Ether-3. My tests are done using nperf.com and I have run the tests at the same time OR starting one before the other. In all cases that I tested Upload priority was given to phones network but Download speed was shared.

My average DSL speed is 11.46 upload / 21.30 download so I have run the following commands to test this:
/queue simple
add max-limit=11.46M/21.30M name=All-ISP-Bandwidth target=Shared-LAN
add limit-at=10M/20M max-limit=11.46M/21.30M name=Phones parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=1/1 target=192.168.2.0/24
add max-limit=1M/1M name=3rd-party-router parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=2/2 target=""
This is image of my settings from Queues sections:

I am giving 10Mbps uploaded and 20Mbps uploaded to phone network just to test it and see if the DEDICATED amount is given to it but it failed. It did obtain 10Mbps upload at all times but only 11Mbps for download and gave the remaining 11Mbps to "3rd Party Router" when I run simultaneous tests. What could be the issue?

Thanks,

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Try setting your max-limit values at least 5-10% lower than your typical ISP speed: you might hit the ISP limits before you hit your own.

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:27 pm

If I read the OP correctly, he does not have control of the PPPoE server.
I am not sure what control means in this context but PPPoE server is on ISP side. Of course, I can run a PPPoE server on Mikrotik too and maybe(?) then pass public IP to 3rd Party Router but seems like your method is the best IF it doesn't break PPPoE connection (can you please confirm this because on IRC channel I heard someone say PPPoE will break with Queues usage).

Also, can you please comment on download limit issue I mentioned in my previous post?

Thanks,

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Anyone can comment why upload speed limit works but not download?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Did you finally add queues for the PPPoE? Can i see those queues?

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Did you finally add queues for the PPPoE? Can i see those queues?
I am not sure what you mean by that. Can you add commands please like IPANETEngineer did. PPPoE is done on "3rd Party Router".
This is my current settings:
/interface bridge
add name=Shared-LAN

/interface bridge port

/queue simple
add max-limit=11.46M/21.30M name=All-ISP-Bandwidth target=Shared-LAN
add limit-at=10M/20M max-limit=11.46M/21.30M name=Phones parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=1/1 target=192.168.2.0/24
add max-limit=1M/1M name=3rd-party-router parent=All-ISP-Bandwidth priority=2/2 target=""

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Configuration

/interface bridge
add name=Shared-LAN

/interface bridge port

/queue simple
Looking at it again, neither Upload or Download limits work at all. None of the queues work. It was my desktop eating more upload bandwidth compared to a Surface notebook that made me think Upload works.

So, as it stands, your diagram and commands do not create any limits whatsoever. Also disabling them was same as when they were enabled.

Can you please test in lab?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Your queues look fine... in the advanced tab of the parent queue add as type pcq upload default and pcq download default...

Also specify your target in your third router...

Then test again...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Your queues look fine... in the advanced tab of the parent queue add as type pcq upload default and pcq download default...

Then test again...

Setting to PCQ Default for both upload and download did not make a difference. Also setting Target to ether2-master (the 3rd party router connected port) did not make a difference. I am going by the diagram posted by IPANetEngineer by the way.

*I enabled and disabled these Queues and it made absolutely no difference at my tests. I am using nperf.com to test with two different computers simultaneously.

Here is a snap shot:

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Then test again...

Setting to PCQ Default for both upload and download did not make a difference. Also setting Target to ether2-master (the 3rd party router connected port) did not make a difference. I am going by the diagram posted by IPANetEngineer by the way.

*I enabled and disabled these Queues and it made absolutely no difference at my tests. I am using nperf.com to test with two different computers simultaneously.

Here is a snap shot:
Anyone can comment on this?

I am surprised traffic shaping is such a convoluted topic on Mikrotik that simple queues can not work on two ports.

Is there a wizard to setup Queues?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Actually its really simple...
Something is preventing it from working on your configuration...

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for feedback.
Have you tested this in your lab that you can say for sure?

This is a factory fresh config and up to date router with only these commands so I doubt what you said holds (the something preventing; i.e. other commands run). Looks to me these commands are not the right ones unless someone else can confirm works for them.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks for feedback.
The specific configuration no...
However i have used simple queues, really, in hundreds of configurations...
So i know they do work :D

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for feedback.
The specific configuration no...
However i have used simple queues, really, in hundreds of configurations...
So i know they do work :D
Yeah, I thought there is something wrong. So what is your suggestion or there is no hope for this scenario?

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Any gurus can comment on this?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:49 pm

I may have missed that in the previous posts, but it seems to me that the configuration by @IPANetEngineer lacks a significant bit of information - in order for queues to work also for L2 frames, in interface bridge settings, use-ip-firewall must be set to yes; in order that PPPoE frames were handled as well, use-ip-firewall-for-pppoe must be set to yes too.

I also have some doubts regarding the way the three simple queues are organized, but I lack any experience here, so it may be allright. The fact that the last one, which should handle the 3rd party router's PPPoE traffic, has target="" is fine; what bothers me is the first one to match on target=Shared_LAN. I expect that rule to either match everything (which would be wrong) or nothing (which would just mean it is useless) because the Shared_LAN has no L3 configuration assigned to it.

So start from changing the bridge settings and have a look whether the queues start counting packets, drops etc. once you do that. If only the first one wil start counting, disable it.

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:13 am

I may have missed that in the previous posts, but it seems to me that the configuration by @IPANetEngineer lacks a significant bit of information - in order for queues to work also for L2 frames, in interface bridge settings, use-ip-firewall must be set to yes; in order that PPPoE frames were handled as well, use-ip-firewall-for-pppoe must be set to yes too.

I also have some doubts regarding the way the three simple queues are organized, but I lack any experience here, so it may be allright. The fact that the last one, which should handle the 3rd party router's PPPoE traffic, has target="" is fine; what bothers me is the first one to match on target=Shared_LAN. I expect that rule to either match everything (which would be wrong) or nothing (which would just mean it is useless) because the Shared_LAN has no L3 configuration assigned to it.

So start from changing the bridge settings and have a look whether the queues start counting packets, drops etc. once you do that. If only the first one wil start counting, disable it.
Sindy, seems you are very close. I haven't tried everything you said yet but will do that tomorrow and will post here. For now I have got this working using below configuration. This is only for PPPoE port bandwidth limit. It seems to be working for Download speed but Upload mangle doesn't register any packets:

/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/queue tree
add max-limit=4M name=total-traffic parent=global queue=default
add name=upload packet-mark=upload parent=total-traffic queue=default
add name=download packet-mark=download parent=total-traffic queue=default
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 hw=no interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 hw=no interface=ether2
/interface bridge settings
set use-ip-firewall=yes use-ip-firewall-for-pppoe=yes
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-packet chain=prerouting comment=upload in-interface=bridge1 \
new-packet-mark=upload passthrough=yes
add action=mark-packet chain=postrouting comment=download new-packet-mark=\
download out-interface=bridge1 passthrough=yes

Torontobb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:20 am

RESOLVED: None of suggestions above worked.
I ended up getting a router that support Rx and Tx limit or just Tx limits and did:

/interface ethernet set bandwidth=unlimited/5000k ether4
/interface ethernet set bandwidth=unlimited/12000k ether5

That simply allowed for both upload and download restriction on the PPPoE bridge of ether4 and ether5.
Consult the chips wiki of Mikrotik website for switch that support Tx or both Tx/Rx limits to get the right router/switch.