Community discussions

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Help with secondary network setup

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi guys,

My first experience with MikroTik a router over here :)

This is my current setup:

This setup shares personal usage (switch2) together with business usage (switch1) which is not ideal.

I want to create a secondary gateway with a HAP Mini with internet access of course. I want the secondary network for personal usage behind switch2 with some restrictions for my kids among other things. Ideally the two networks must be able to communicate, but not critically important. Very important though that the setup on the DLink router should not change if at all possible.

So I want to create something like this:

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Help with secondary network setup

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 pm

You will get internet access and access from secondary network to primary if you simply connect 1st hAP port to switch1 and the 2nd to switch2.
Even with default config. And no additional config on dlink.
The only real downside will be one unnecessary NAT performed on hAP.
To remove it, and to get connectivity from primary network to secondary as well you need to:
On Dlink:
1) Add static dhcp lease for hAP
2) Add static route to 192.168.88.0/24 via the address you added in 1)
On hAP:
1) Disable default masquerade rule in /firewall nat
2) Adjust rules in /firewall filter to allow some limited access from primary network to secondary.

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Cool tx man, will give it a shot tonight!

Edit: "shot" got auto corrected to a swear word

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SunRam on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm

The LAN cable between switch1 and switch2 is connected between 20 other lan cables on switch2. Therefore difficult to locate the link cable. Can I hook the HAP up behind the switch? That does however not sound right to me...

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm

The LAN cable between switch1 and switch2 is connected between 20 other lan cables on switch2. Therefore difficult to locate the link cable. Can I hook the HAP up behind the switch? That does however not sound right to me...

No, that won't work.

By the way, you might also need to disable hAP's wifi interface if you don't need it.
I'm not sure that it is disabled by default, and if not, the default SSID is configured without any password.

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks. At the hAP login screen there's the quick setup drop down box. Do I have to select anything there and enter any ip's anywhere?

Also should the default gateway of the primary router (192.168.0.1) be inserted anywhere?

Meantime I'm searching for the link cable...

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks. At the hAP login screen there's the quick setup drop down box. Do I have to select anything there and enter any ip's anywhere?

Also should the default gateway of the primary router (192.168.0.1) be inserted anywhere?

Meantime I'm searching for the link cable...

Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with quick set.
I think you need to choose something like "Home AP".
If you dlink runs dhcp server, you need to configure hAP as dhcp client, and it will get ip and gateway automatically.
If not, then you have to set ip and add a default route manually.

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Hey man, I played around with Winbox setup last night and understand the config a little better now.
However, should the LAN cable from the DLink to the hAP be plugged in to the WAN port, or to LAN2? (see edit below)
The hAP mini has 3 ports: Internet, 2 and 3
I would think it should be plugged in to LAN2 and make that the master port and slave LAN3 for the rest of the network?

Yes, the DLink is the DHCP server so I'll set the hAP as a DHCP client and remove the second NAT at a later stage once everything is up and running smoothly.

EDIT: Further research suggests that this cable from the dhcp server should be plugged in to the WAN port (internet port) of the hAP....and as the dhcp client gets configured on the hAP, it will pick the 192.168.0.1 dhcp server up and everything should work. I'll be playing around some more tonight.

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Hey man, I played around with Winbox setup last night and understand the config a little better now.
However, should the LAN cable from the DLink to the hAP be plugged in to the WAN port, or to LAN2?
The hAP mini has 3 ports: Internet, 2 and 3
I would think it should be plugged in to LAN2 and make that the master port and slave LAN3 for the rest of the network?

Yes, the DLink is the DHCP server so I'll set the hAP as a DHCP client and remove the second NAT at a later stage once everything is up and running smoothly.
If you are going to use default config (or the one started from default one, but modified to your needs), then plug the cable from D-link to WAN port, you will end up with less things to modify.
If you feel confident enough, to write your own config from scratch - then it doesn't really matter, all ports are equal when they are not configured, so you can assign the needed roles as you want.

SunRam
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for your help man. All sorted now.

Switch1 → hAP wan → hAP Lan1 → switch2 → rest of network

I also managed to organize Google/Bing/Duckduckgo safesearch (to block inappropriate image searches) and used OpenDNS for further restrictions.

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks for your help man. All sorted now.

Switch1 → hAP wan → hAP Lan1 → switch2 → rest of network

I also managed to organize Google/Bing/Duckduckgo safesearch (to block inappropriate image searches) and used OpenDNS for further restrictions.
👍🏻

voceking
just joined

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi guys,

My first experience with MikroTik a router over here :)

This is my current setup:

This setup shares personal usage (switch2) together with business usage (switch1) which is not ideal.

I want to create a secondary gateway with a HAP Mini with internet access of course in bigg boss 13. I want the secondary network for personal usage behind switch2 with some restrictions for my kids among other things. Ideally the two networks must be able to communicate, but not critically important in big. Very important though that the setup on the DLink router should not change if at all possible.

So I want to create something like this:

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Try the changing usb settings...
Are you trying to get a second card working or just the r11e that ships with the kit?