Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Can RouterOS do throttling ?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:12 pm

On Virgin Media, they have a fair use policy where if you download a certain amount of data, your connection is throttled back for a certain time period. Is RouterOS capable of anything similar? For example, if somebody downloaded 2GB, their bandwidth is throttled for an hour.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can RouterOS do throttling ?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:48 pm

I found a nice and simple script to do that, https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Limiting ... traffic_II

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks for that - it's a bit of an idle though about a site I manage whereby they have limited bandwidth shared with a lot of people and some are abusing streaming. I will also be looking at packet sniffing to see if one can throttle just the streaming services. But the throttling I mention might be easier to set-up and manage.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Another potential option would be to put a priority based QoS onto the router. Just push streaming (or the acks) down the list so that they can take bandwidth if it's available.

Otherwise you will have these "abusers" able to cause network chaos for short periods of time where as a prioritised approach will make sure normal users get what they need and the abusers can get whats left when it's not used.
Last edited by Steveocee on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Concur with Stevo, otherwise you would have to limit everyones bandwidth not just the culprits to discourage streaming or heavy downloading. Doing the control on the type of traffic is best if you cannot pinpoint the abusers.