Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Need some help troubleshooting a probable loop, please.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 am

We have a RB750 Gr3 that is the first device in our network. We are getting quite a few entries in the log stating "Bridge port received packet with own address as source address probably loop".

The very first thing I did was check MAC address's on all our devices, because I had imported settings from one device to another and I thought that could be the issue. The only thing I found was that the bridge had taken the MAC address of one of the ports. I thought this was odd, but I found out through more research that this is normal. But I also noticed that it is being logged as being from port 4, but the actual MAC address in question is port 2.

After doing some more reading I started running the packet sniffer. While it was running when 20 or so of these loops occured, nothing shows up in the packet sniffer.

Can anyone give me pointer on where to go from here? Am I missing something easy?

Thanks for your help.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need some help troubleshooting a probable loop, please.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Is the bridge on RB750 your root Bridge? You will see that on the bridge status tab. If it's not lower the BPDU value of the bridge so it becomes your root Bridge...
Also, is RSTP activated on all your devices?
Also use the admin MAC address on your RB750 Bridge...

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Try the long version of RouterOS.
I've had that too and now I can't see it anymore.

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:29 am

Zacharias, yes it is the root bridge. As for RSTP, when I was setting up the network, I misunderstood what RSTP did and turned it off. I had continued my research after posting here, and ran across some information that was leading me to the point where I had decided that STP or RSTP was going to have to be turned on, thank you for confirming what I had interpreted. I had read about the Admin MAC briefly, it sounds like I can just create a MAC Address? Is that correct?
Thanks for your help.

plisken, I hate to ask this, but what do you mean by the long version of ROS? I am using Winbox to get into ROS. As far as I know there is only the one version. Or do you mean by going thru the command line?
Thanks for your help as well.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello, you have different RouterOS versions.
Long term is this where there are very few bugs and works well.
You have the stable version with newer implementations but which can still contain bugs.
And you have the beta versions that still have to be tested.
The last one (beta version) is not recommended on a working company network.
For downloads, see the RouterOS version on the left

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Enable RSTP on all your devices.. !
I had read about the Admin MAC briefly, it sounds like I can just create a MAC Address? Is that correct?
You can do a simple trick, go to interfaces eoip, click the +, copy the mac address that was generated and close the window Without saving anything.
Take that unique mac address that was created and paste it in your Bridge Mac address...

If your problems persist most probably you have a real loop!

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello, you have different RouterOS versions.
Long term is this where there are very few bugs and works well.
You have the stable version with newer implementations but which can still contain bugs.
And you have the beta versions that still have to be tested.
The last one (beta version) is not recommended on a working company network.
For downloads, see the RouterOS version on the left
AHH, Light dawns on marble head. I knew about the different release channels, but did not think of that causing the issues. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Enable RSTP on all your devices.. !
I had read about the Admin MAC briefly, it sounds like I can just create a MAC Address? Is that correct?
You can do a simple trick, go to interfaces eoip, click the +, copy the mac address that was generated and close the window Without saving anything.
Take that unique mac address that was created and paste it in your Bridge Mac address...

If your problems persist most probably you have a real loop!
Thank you Sir. I will give it a shot. I know it has to be something like this. The only way for it to be a real loop is if two customers are conspiring against us, and ran a cable between their two systems. The only problem with that is none of them have the knowledge to do it.