Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Point to Point 10 routers

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello, a really new starter user needing your help! Since i have a large space to cover with wireless i bought 10+ routerboard SXT 2 and the main idea is to connect them to work like a chain wifi extenders. (I hope i'm explaining it well) So my question is, what mode should I use for this and how to connect all of it to work and have wireless connection on all of them. In the attachment is my scheme of my idea, the first option is the main idea, but since people told me that its not recommended to connect more then 2 i need some better option. Sorry about my English.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Point to Point 10 routers

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Both options are bad, but the second one is still muuuuch better.
Ideally you need separate radios for PtP backbone and for serving clients.

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:17 am

Both options are bad, but the second one is still muuuuch better.
Ideally you need separate radios for PtP backbone and for serving clients.
Ok, well... what is the best option to achieve my goal? Is there any tutorial i can follow to get things done.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:04 pm

There is no universal solution.
Too many factors: inside/outside, distances, obstacles, number of clients, uplink speed, neighbouring network, etc.
And the best option can be found only after at least basic radio analysis at the location.

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:35 pm

There is no universal solution.
Too many factors: inside/outside, distances, obstacles, number of clients, uplink speed, neighbouring network, etc.
And the best option can be found only after at least basic radio analysis at the location.
Is this better option then? One ssid, one wifi of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Sure!
If you can connect all the APs by wire it will be the best and the easiest solution.
Only thing to keep in mind - use different non-overlapping channels on the adjacent APs.

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Sure!
If you can connect all the APs by wire it will be the best and the easiest solution.
Only thing to keep in mind - use different non-overlapping channels on the adjacent APs.
Ok, nice! Thank you! And for the "same wifi everywhere" i just put same SSID and password intersecting and that's it, or i need to do something more?

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm

yes... at least in ideal world that would just work....

But in reality you will have to carefully adjust tx power on all APs to they only cover wanted rooms/parts of the building. Because often client doesn't want to roam and can hold on to signal that's from other end of the building, even if it's not the strongest. Use non-overlapping channels or if you have to re-use the channel, do it as far from other one as possible.
Also look into CAPSman, it may help you manage all the APs from the main RB easily.

And yes, connecting all APs to the ethernet backbone is clearly the best way, so 2.4GHz is only used for clients, like it should be.

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 pm

yes... at least in ideal world that would just work....

But in reality you will have to carefully adjust tx power on all APs to they only cover wanted rooms/parts of the building. Because often client doesn't want to roam and can hold on to signal that's from other end of the building, even if it's not the strongest. Use non-overlapping channels or if you have to re-use the channel, do it as far from other one as possible.
Also look into CAPSman, it may help you manage all the APs from the main RB easily.

And yes, connecting all APs to the ethernet backbone is clearly the best way, so 2.4GHz is only used for clients, like it should be.
Ok, thank you so much! Now i know where to start and how to do it, so my problem if fixed! Thank's again. All the best

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I've set everyone to have dhcp client for ether1. Does everyone of them has to have their own dhcp server with nat for wlan1 ? Or just the first capsman?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 pm

No dhcp server is needed on the cAPs.

Tuktron
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm

No dhcp server is needed on the cAPs.
Just one more thing. How do i force capsman to use different channels for other routers? i added 3 channels, but all of my routers are on 2462 channel? How to fix it, i have 4 routers connected and i need to connect 14 more, i have to find solution

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Point to Point 10 routers  [SOLVED]

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Create separate provisions for each frequency and use them on the cAPs you want (based on radio MAC address).