Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dkuzminov
just joined
Topic Author

What is the use case for displaying local drives in netinstall?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Recently I tried to reinstall the RouterOS on my device. The reason of why I was doing that and the problems I faced during the installation (actually I still haven't succeeded yet) are out of scope of this question. I'm wondering: why does netinstall display my local drives together with the routers?

So I was trying to connect my device to the PC following the manual. Nothing helped me to find the router on the lest, but there was the complete list of all the partitions on my PC. After 4 hours of struggling with the router I accidentally selected the drive and pressed the "Install" button instead of the "Net booting". F*ck. The netinstall started to format the drive immediately (without proper prompting if I'm sure what I'm doing). I tried to stop it but the disk doesn't respond now. Looks like the partition table is destroyed, however I can see the file system using the tools that allow to recover disks.

So, what is the purpose of showing my precious disks together with the router in the same window? Why doesn't software try to prevent reformatting the local disks? What does actually software do with the disk (this information is needed to plan how to recover the partition)?

I'm completely disappointed with the solutions MikroTik provides. Would never recommend to anybody except of the enemy.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is the use case for displaying local drives in netinstall?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 pm

I ve seen hard disk drives (usb disks) displayed in the netinstall window too... i dont wnow why it happens but yes sometimes it does...
However its your mistake sellecting your hard drive instead of the MikroTik device...
I hope you can recover your data...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:14 pm

I never tried it, but you can probably use Netinstall to install x86 RouterOS on locally connected disk, CF card or whatever, and then use it in same or different PC. So showing local drives can make sense. Whether it should be offered by default and even accepted without prompt, that's another question.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Sob yes that makes sense...

dkuzminov
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:11 am

However its your mistake sellecting your hard drive instead of the MikroTik device...
It's my mistake that I've selected this product. The rest is rather questionable.
I'm a software developer, and I know that the main principle of a professional is not to make harm to the user. That is why each potentially dangerous operation shall be difficult to perform unless on purpose. Looks like this soft skill is not known by MikroTik developers, and scapegoating the user for destroying his data is just the indicator of poor quality of development processes in the company.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am

That is why each potentially dangerous operation shall be difficult to perform unless on purpose.
Netinstall is not a feature included in your router...! Its not something that you do a click with your mouse and destroys a disk!
Netinstall is a tool you can download to reinstall routeros, we use it in case our device does not work properly...!

Also, in order to perform netinstall, first we select the device discovered then we select the routeros version and last we click on install, even that is a three step procedure...

dkuzminov
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:03 am

Netinstall is a tool you can download to reinstall routeros, we use it in case our device does not work properly...!
The problem is that my device doesn't work properly. I would be happy not to know what the Netinstall is, but unfortunately I had to get known.
Also, in order to perform netinstall, first we select the device discovered then we select the routeros version and last we click on install, even that is a three step procedure...
"First you select the device discovered": I had spent 4 hours trying to put this device into the discoverable state. I followed all the procedures described in the manual, watched the video: nothing helped. Overall the experience working with this product is terrible.

Znevna
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm

The answer to your question is found even by clicking "Help" in the netinstall main window.
In the first lines too.
"This program allows remote installation of the MikroTik RouterOS over
Ethernet or to any local disk from a Windows computer.
Installation methods:
- over the network using floppy boot disk on the target machine;
- over the network using PXE boot system on the target machine;
- on a locally connected hard/flash disk that will be used to run
RouterOS."

Cheers.
PS: If your device has more than one ethernet port, as stated in the wiki, it will only be discoverable on the first port. (if you did everything else right only that might remain).