Znevna
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Quick Set: Home AP Dual - IP assignment

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Hello, this thing bugs me for a while.
Device: hAP ac2
The default config has the local IP address assigned to bridge, but, if let's say I want to use the Home AP Dual from Quick Set, it changes the IP assignment from bridge to ethernet2.
If you change the IP assignment back to bridge, it quacks up Quick Set and changes to WISP AP, and so on ..
Can we have the proper interface assigned to the local IP in the Home AP Dual template please?
Or is there some other reason why it is set that way?
Thanks.
Last edited by Znevna on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Quick Set: Home AP Dual - IP assignment

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:58 pm

Why do you need quickset ? Just configure your wireless interfaces by hand and add them inside your bridge... it's really easy...
Mode: ap bridge
SSID: your ssid name
Frequency: auto
Protocol: 802.11
Frequency mode: Regulatory domain
Gain: 3
Security: the security profile created under Security profiles

The above setup is for simple home use...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Quickset is nothing more a place to perhaps show you how the default setup got there...........
Avoid quickset but understand how its settings are reflected in the config as part of the learning curve on the router OS.
I also do not recommend putting IP addresses on the bridge, much better to use vlans.............
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Znevna
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:31 pm

I didn't even wanna bother answering to your replies just because I consider them offtopic.
Why not use quickset? It is there just for that, quickly setup a router with the minimal required settings. (mikrotiks solution to the next next next kind of routers.)
And Home Ap Dual on this device (or other dual band ones) that you want to maybe use as a router for you little apartment gives you access to minimal stuff to get it working as you want. Set the ssid for each radio, channel, wan type etc.
And when used above the default configuration it works just fine. (If you remove the default config and THEN use Quick Set you'd be missing some stuff, not recommended to use it that way.)
It just has that little bug setting the IP address on ethernet2 instead of letting it on bridge. (I consider it a bug in the template.)
If the user wants to tinker with it, sure, he can have fun afterwards.
And no. no sane person will setup vlans for one tv and two mobile phones at home. Out of the scope of this topic.
Please, on topic :)
Cheers.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

A smart person, one who purports to know all, would not be wasting milliseconds on asking questions about quickset.
Just be content that you will continue to be bugged about it. ;-)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Znevan,

even Mikrotik support says: If you leave once QuickSet, don't come back!
Quickset is NOT MEANT to configure the device in addition to Winbox/Webfig.

You can use QuickSET ONLY, or for initial setup after reset to make it work the way you want.
But once you change one parameter outside Quickset (with WInbox or Webfig for example), I would NOT use it anymore.
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite, ltap-mini, RB4011 (good!), Audience (better) :-) !!!

Znevna
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Oh boy, with guys like you little bugs like this one will never get sorted out and even be afraid to say something about other little bugs that if fixed will make it more user friendly. But what do I know :)
Sorry to bother you with little things like this one.
Friendly support forum... :)

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:05 pm

As you've been already told - it is not a bug.
Quickset is just a number of preconfigured templates, that can be used for initial configuration.
Using quickset on the router that was already configured means overwriting part of its configuration leaving the other part intact and as a result - most likely break it down.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Znevna, since you found a bug ( at least thats what you think ) you can contact mikrotik support...!

Also since you know too much, i dont think we can help...you found all answers off topic!!!