Community discussions

MikroTik App

JordanReich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multiple ISP w/ Bandwidth Sensitivity

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 am

This is more a theoretical discussion to determine if it's first possible but secondly worth whatever effort it may require to setup.

Scenario is that our primary internet provider is an ATT cellular connection (100Mbps) with a 100GB limit per month. The secondary internet is a DSL connection (10Mbps) with no limit. We would like to route the slower internet to our streaming devices and our faster internet to everything else.

Simultaneously I would like to keep a bandwidth tracker on the faster provider so know when the usage in a monthly timeframe has exceeded 100GB. Once it has all traffic in the house gets routed over the slower connection.

Once the bandwidth rolls over to 0 (after the month). Then the connections all return to their default settings

Is something like this conceivably possible with the MikroTik environment? If so, could you potentially walk me through conceptually in terms of how to accomplish it.

Thanks!

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Multiple ISP w/ Bandwidth Sensitivity

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:55 am

Yes some of it easier than others, walking you through it is likely a fruitless endeavour as it would require a decent amount of working knowledge.

For routing certain devices via one internet connection look at routing marks and route tables to change the route for those singular devices.

For your quota, you'd need a way to measure the data and initiate a script to cut-off the faster internet. This may be possible purely internal using scripting and a global variable that you update, but im not sure how this works with counters and reboots etc, the alternative is track usage via SNMP on an external server and initiate the cut-off at the 100GB via that.

JordanReich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Multiple ISP w/ Bandwidth Sensitivity

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick breakdown. We already run fairly complex setups with MikroTik for Site-To-Site connections. So conceptually don't think it'll be too much of a problem just needed the bare bone concepts which you have helped to provide.

My general assumption is to create a WAN on Eth-1 and another WAN on Eth-2 for each ISP. Assigning the route for each WAN to let's say Eth-3 and Eth-4 in this case. Then use switching to create the grand plan with all the normal stuff put in place that'd you do with anyone connection. Obviously that is a very high-level view but if it seems like I'm off on this let me know.

What I have not done before much in MikroTik is creating scripts to accomplish a task. In this case bandwidth monitoring. I do have an SNMP that drops into an Elk Stack so it could theoretically be used to do what your mentioning. But keeping it all within the same system would be beneficial I think long term. As the Elk-Stack is located at a different site.

If anyone else has any recommendations on what would be done best via the scripting that'd be helpful!

Thanks