Community discussions

MikroTik App

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Possible to export/print password?

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:19 am

I know the obvious answer is 'no' for security reasons but i'm not actually looking for the password itself to a user account. I'm actually looking for user accounts that match a known password
The reason being is I have templates I use to setup distribution routers with a default known password so we can access it before its fully provisioned. But after its fully operational it should be accessed with RADIUS login credentials, and the locally stored password should be changed to a unique one. I want to know if this step has been skipped so I can change it

We use Solarwinds NCM and I have a lot of compliance templates written to sweep our entire network looking for config that isn't to our standard. And part of this is changing that password. I would like to know if there's a way to show user accounts matching this default password, and if so the device is not compliant and will get flagged so I can go and change it
I can see that I can use this command but it doesn't seem to work the way I expect
/user print where password="ABC123"
and it returns nothing. If I invert it to
/user print where password!="ABC123"
it shows all the local user accounts

Does this parameter expect a hashed version of the password? If so what is the hashing algorithm so I can figure out what hash represents our default password

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Possible to export/print password?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 am

Bump

Still need a way to audit for out of date passwords

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:40 am

Still, no :)

You can always overwrite the password, even if has been changed before.

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:55 am

Well here's hoping that password hashes get included in the /export in a future firmware