Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

deliveri
just joined
Topic Author

Feature request: exporting configuration sould be password protected

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi,

If I make an export like this ( export verbose file=config.rsc ) , if I could protect I with password it will be a good feature, so sending the exported rsc file with email will be more safe:
In some cases the export file easier to use, so this will be a good feature I think so.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

Znevna
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Feature request: exporting configuration sould be password protected

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm

You want the file to be password protected? :-?
Why don't you just add it to a password protected archive before sending it by e-mail? 7zip or zip or whatever.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm

When you use backup instead of export, there is the possibility to encrypt it (it even is the default).
But note that backup and export have different functionality and different areas of use.

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm

You can also use an application like Encrypto that does a great job. It's available on Mac and Windows.

Sent from my cell phone. Sorry for the errors.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Just pack it yourself (7zip, ...) with password. It wouldn't make sense for MikroTik to invent their own format, they would also have to provide some tool to decrypt it. And to integrate something standard only for this would be overkill.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Probably he wants to export the config and mail it to himself inside a RouterOS script.
Tools like ZIP are not useful for that unless MikroTik make a ZIP package for RouterOS.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Right, there's currently no good solution for that. You can have encrypted backup, but it's user-unfriendly binary mess (even when not encrypted).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.