Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Inssomniak
Topic Author

I MUST be an idiot?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:27 am

Ok, for several hours Im just trying to get mikrotik routerOS up enough to access it from the comfort of my own house instead of at the bottom of a tower 20 kilometers away. But I cant.

This is what I have done, my ISP assigned me a /28 subnet, say, xx.xx.129.32/28

The gateway is xx.xx.129.33, and my ISP said to configure the next available IP, (xx.xx.129.34) to the router, so I did

/ip address add xx.xx.129.34/28 interface=ADSL

and added the gateway in /ip route. so after doing that, I can ping remote hosts, and even while Im sitting at the console, SSH into "itself" using the ip xx.xx.129.34.

But NOTHING works remotely, I cant ping it remotely, I cant login SSH, zip. The internet connection is good, as plugging it into a laptop it works fine, if I give the same IP address/gateway/netmask to the laptop.

Did I configure the IP address correctly? Ultimately the remaining IP addresses in the /28 will be used on hosts behind the router (no NAT). I checked the firewall rules (/ip firewall filter print) and nothing came up, so I added /ip firewall filter add chain=input src-address 0.0.0.0/0) which I assume allows all connections? Im Lost.

firebat

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:02 am

You say the router is 20Km away. How are you getting to it? Via the internet and you are trying to ping the 129.34 via the internet from your house? You have an ADSL port in your router (is this a PC)? Can you ping the provider 129.33 gateway? What did you set the gateway to be in the router? Typing the IP address of the router into a web browser, you can't get the Mikrotik web page to appear so you can connect via winbox (you aren't just dropping ICMP packets)?

You might want to post part of your config on here. From the router CLI, enter: export

Pretty much if you following the instructions from the manual for intial setup, it should work:
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... /basic.php

mneumark

Re: I MUST be an idiot?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:05 am

Ok, for several hours Im just trying to get mikrotik routerOS up enough to access it from the comfort of my own house instead of at the bottom of a tower 20 kilometers away. But I cant.

This is what I have done, my ISP assigned me a /28 subnet, say, xx.xx.129.32/28

The gateway is xx.xx.129.33, and my ISP said to configure the next available IP, (xx.xx.129.34) to the router, so I did

/ip address add xx.xx.129.34/28 interface=ADSL

and added the gateway in /ip route. so after doing that, I can ping remote hosts, and even while Im sitting at the console, SSH into "itself" using the ip xx.xx.129.34.

But NOTHING works remotely, I cant ping it remotely, I cant login SSH, zip. The internet connection is good, as plugging it into a laptop it works fine, if I give the same IP address/gateway/netmask to the laptop.

Did I configure the IP address correctly? Ultimately the remaining IP addresses in the /28 will be used on hosts behind the router (no NAT). I checked the firewall rules (/ip firewall filter print) and nothing came up, so I added /ip firewall filter add chain=input src-address 0.0.0.0/0) which I assume allows all connections? Im Lost.
What subnet are you trying to manage this router from? I suggest try setting your ip address from the machine your on to the same subnet as the router your trying to access.

Example: xx.xx.129.35/28

Matt

Inssomniak
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 am

Well, Im getting to it by traditional automobile for now.

I cant get to it via internet at all from my house. I dont have an ADSL port in the PC, its using an ADSL external modem connected to an ethernet interface I called "ADSL"

I can ping the provider gateway 129.33 from both the router and anywhere else on the internet, and I set the gateway as xx.xx.129.33 in the router, I can ping itself from the console keyboard, and any other host on the internet willing to reply (from the router)

so the router has ip address xx.xx.129.34/28. gateway xx.xx.129.33, broadcast xx.xx.129.47 (it figured this out on its own)

did I miss any steps for basic setup and remote access? I checked the /ip services, and everything looks good and enabled for ssh, as well as web, telnet, etc. nothing disabled.

firebat

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:19 am

hmm. Does your modem have an IP address..or is it .33? I think a config dump is needed to check the settings. If you followed the manual step by step, it should work. Do you have any other interfaes up on the router and what IP address to you assign? If you look at IP routers, ADSL interface is noted as the gateway (it should if you can get out from the router CLI.)

You may want to bring your router home and make it work in a test setup in your house first. :D

dot-bot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Check Gateway config... Also your provider may be dropping default ports, try setting the router services to upper ports and connect to them~ Also paste here the router config :)