Community discussions

MikroTik App

smallfount
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP option 55

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:28 am

Dear All,
I'm recently trying to move my egress router from Ubnt EdgeMax to RouterOS.
Most of the parts are OK now.
But when I tried to add one DHCP Option 125 to the DHCP server I found it seems not able to reach.
My IPTV system need DHCP option 125 to make it works, but when the devices boots it never request this.
So we need to force insert this option when DHCP ack.
However, neither EdgeMax and RouterOS can reach it simply.

In EdgeMax, I can add the option 55 at server side to define an Option list for clients, like the linux dhcp option man page sadi:
option dhcp-parameter-request-list uint16;
This option, when sent by the client, specifies which options the client wishes the server to return. Normally, in the ISC DHCP client, this is done using the request statement. If this option is not specified by the client, the DHCP server will normally return every option that is valid in scope and that fits into the reply. When this option is specified on the server, the server returns the specified options. This can be used to force a client to take options that it hasn't requested, and it can also be used to tailor the response of the DHCP server for clients that may need a more limited set of options than those the server would normally return.
https://linux.die.net/man/5/dhclient-options

I tried some different value form and tried to package capture the DHCP package, seems the option 55 is not work on RouterOS at all.

Does anyone know how we can make it works or how to force insert one option in DHCP?

Thanks in advance.

br
Cloud

smallfount
just joined
Topic Author

Re: DHCP option 55

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am

So maybe we have no choice so far? Only another DHCP server for this option?