Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

LHG LTE - Bridge mode???

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Hello

I'm trying to setup my LHG LTE in bridge mode (Ubiquiti Edgerouter acting as router), but I can't get it to work, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I'm following the instructions written on this page:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... assthrough

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte apn add apn=apn1 passthrough-interface=ether1
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte set lte1 apn-profiles=apn1

I have also done it over the GUI interface. But nothing happen, I lose connection to the LHG web interface (it's normal) but my real router (Ubiquiti) doesn't get any internet IP.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you
Last edited by Acryli on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Re: LHG LTE - Bridge mode???

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Up please :-/

I also set up the passthrough-mac address parameter, but it hasn't changed anything :-/

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:12 pm

There are two types of mobile modems. One of them imitates a network card (Mikrotik manual calls that "direct IP mode"), and that one can be used in bridge mode. The other one imitates a serial modem, and for that one, bridge mode was not possible at least recently. You can find out which modem type you have by setting it up in the usual mode (not in bridge) - if an /ip dhcp-client is automatically created, it's the one imitating the network card. But as the manual states, the DirectIP mode may just be disabled by command, so check that setting first.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Thank you for your answer.

It's a standard Mikrotik R11e-LTE modem card.
The default value for the parameter ignore-directip-modem is NO.

Is that ok?
Should I change it to yes?

(Is PPP = DirectIP mode? It's not clear in the manual)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 pm

It's a standard Mikrotik R11e-LTE modem card.
That's probably important but I've never tested one, so I can't say anything based on that fact alone.

The default value for the parameter ignore-directip-modem is NO.
Should I change it to yes?
It must be no in order that the Direct IP mode could work if supported by the modem. So it's not important what's the default, it's important what /port firmware print says. If it says ignore-directip-modem: yes, set it to no.

(Is PPP = DirectIP mode? It's not clear in the manual)
No. PPP is used along with the serial line emulator mode, DirectIP is used along with the network card emulator mode.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks

Yes, it's set to no, but it doesn't work :-(

Other people don't seem to have trouble to make Mikrotik's lte modems to work in bridge mode. :-(

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 pm

So wait - if you don't set the bridge mode, can you see the dynamically created dhcp-client or not? If not, what is the firmware version in the modem?

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 pm

It could be related to a firmware bug according to this tread:
viewtopic.php?t=148697

I'm using version MikroTik _CP_2.160.000_v008

Apparently this bug has been fixed on version v012.

Where can I download it????

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 pm

Where can I download it????
You can download it over the air only. The description is e.g. here.

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 pm

v013

But sill not working :-/

With the command /ip dhcp-client print, I'm getting an empty table:

# INTERFACE USE ADD-DEFAULT-ROUTE STATUS ADDRESS

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:55 pm

No more ideas on my side.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 am

Well, there is a crazy one. Set that item to yes, reboot, then set it back to no and reboot again.

SiB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:42 am

You have ONE ethernet and you not must create a Bridge.
Just create two VLAN's at Ether1.
*) vlan id 2 as management
*) vlan id 3 as lte passthrough
Enable RoMon.
Set InterfaceList the LAN additional vlan id 2 "mgmt"

At your RB2=RouterBoard_SecondOne create both vlan at ethernet port who is going to LHGR.
*) at vlan id 2 add it to bridge-local
*) at vlan id 3 create a dhcp-client to receive LTE IP from LHGR.

Create dhcp-client at vlan id 2 as mgmt interface - now you have IP from your LAN and can manage device by IP. By RoMon etc.
Set APN passthrough to vlan id 3 and your RB2 receive LTE IP from LHGR via dhcp client.

I have new SXTR&R11e-LTE6 and do this:
winbox_v3.20_64_ciKCg4MDGS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL | WebChat: Tokonda
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Well, I found the error and totally my fault...
I forget to set up the DHCP on the WAN port of the Edegrouter...

Now it wrong.

Thanks for your help
You have ONE ethernet and you not must create a Bridge.
Just create two VLAN's at Ether1.
*) vlan id 2 as management
*) vlan id 3 as lte passthrough
Enable RoMon.
Set InterfaceList the LAN additional vlan id 2 "mgmt"

At your RB2=RouterBoard_SecondOne create both vlan at ethernet port who is going to LHGR.
*) at vlan id 2 add it to bridge-local
*) at vlan id 3 create a dhcp-client to receive LTE IP from LHGR.

Create dhcp-client at vlan id 2 as mgmt interface - now you have IP from your LAN and can manage device by IP. By RoMon etc.
Set APN passthrough to vlan id 3 and your RB2 receive LTE IP from LHGR via dhcp client.

I have new SXTR&R11e-LTE6 and do this:
winbox_v3.20_64_ciKCg4MDGS.png
Interesting, I will test it later. Having access to the LHG LTE's management interface in bridge mode would be interesting indeed.
But I need to check how to create VLAN on a WAN port on Edgerouter.
I will probably come back later.

Thank you to both of you.

Acryli
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello

Well, I'm back. I can't get the management vlan to work.

On RouterOS:
1. LTE as IP passthrough to eth1 with MAC filter
2. Added a Vlan 2 on eth1 for the management.
3. Assigned the IP 192.168.88.100 to the vlan 2 interface

On Ubiquiti Edgerouter:
1. WAN on eth4 + firewall rules
2. Added a Vlan on port eth4 with vlan id 2.
3. Assigned Wan firewall rules to this vlan
4. Assigned the IP address 192.168.88.2/24 to the vlan interface
5. Changed the MAC address of the vlan interface to avoid that the RouterOS LTE interface in passthrough mode, hijack the packets.

But it doesn't work.
The internet connectivity is ok, but the management vlan not.

Any idea?

Thank you

SiB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 am

Problem is at MikroTik site, when you mix ether1 and vlan2@ether1 then traffic at ether1 is not work properly, special when the ether1 is a port in bridge-lan. I don't know your setup.
Setup VLANs are always in few method differ to hardware what you have got. This easy topic can be done by few ways.

MikroTik give us info that SXTR & LHGR are on chip QCA9531 but we haven't a "Block Diagram" and not know how it's internal connections look.
At my SXTR in WinBox > Switch I can see the switch1 on chipset Atheros 8227. I have got 2xFE means that I can reach ~195Mbps on two ports but this Atheros 8227 can be connected with QCA9531 by 100Mb bus and this will be my limit of receiving internet - this will be testing by me in future.
Q: What you can see Ethernet Switch at your LHGR?

The best way is to use two vlans at ether1 and not use ether1/bridge-lan itself. Just simple vlans at ether1 directly.
VLAN2 as mgmt with static IP or dhcp-client
VLAN3 as passthrough who is a specific dhcp-server.

Current situation: ether1 as untagged + vlan2 tagged on it have name "Hybrid Port" but this scenario is supported on some 1GbE chips, info: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... d_Ports.29
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL | WebChat: Tokonda
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software

SiB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:34 am

One more option is not use passthrough feature and use LHGR as classic CPE means Router LTE who give you internet just by NAT.

SiB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:41 am

At new v6.46:
*) lte - fixed band setting on R11e-4G;
*) lte - fixed network registration on R11e-LTE-US;
*) lte - fix "operator" names not being displayed properly;
*) lte - improved modem initialization;
*) lte - show "primary-band" only for LTE modems;

Please upgrade and remember to do boot firmware upgrade too.