Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

xbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Cheap APs & Routers to pair w low end Mikrotik hAPlite (N) Home/ SOHO setup for Wireless AC? (Non ubiquiti etc)

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Cheap APs & Routers to pair w low end Mikrotik hAPlite (N) Home/ SOHO setup for Wireless AC? (Non ubiquiti etc)

Got the HapLite for around 20/22 USD to replace & agument a set of Tomato / DD-WRT boxes as I realized for the functionality and control its killer at 22 USD.

I may go for higher end MkTk boxes later in future as I learn and play with Router OS.

What would be a cheap (consumer) way to add a Wireless AC AP (via an AP or Router configured to work as Child AP to Mikrotik Haplite) ? (Non ubiquiti etc). Which Routers/ APs from the market (or DDed/ Tomatoed) might you recommend?

Devices:
1/2 phone / laptop devices + Voice Asst (1/2 Alex or Google) + FireStick - per room

PS: ISP is 25M, mostly we wont go over 30/50. Max if at all Asian ISP offers in 1-2 years might be 100M.

Lets keep this cheap for now - but I am sure some consumer AC stuff has good "hardware" / "Radio" that can complement the NETWORK PARENT which is HapLite.

PS: Also have an hold HP ProCurve Gigabit 24 port switch attached. (Bought it in 2009 when leaving the US - has lifetime warranty)
Last edited by xbliss on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Cheap APs & Routers to pair w low end Mikrotik hAPlite (N) Home/ SOHO setups add Wireless AC? (Non ubiquiti etc)

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:08 pm

I was thinking something Sub 50/40/30 / 20 USD on SALE e.g. TP Link etc. (with strong AC) that acts as a Child/ Slave to the Mikrotik Hap Lite.

Thoughts?

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cheap APs & Routers to pair w low end Mikrotik hAPlite (N) Home/ SOHO setup for Wireless AC? (Non ubiquiti etc)

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm

I tried to pair a tplink with Mikrotik using wds couple of years ago, did not go well
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Cheap APs & Routers to pair w low end Mikrotik hAPlite (N) Home/ SOHO setup for Wireless AC? (Non ubiquiti etc)

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:58 am

You can find cheap 802.11ac routers starting around ~$15, some are even dual-band.
Tenda is cheap and they can be flashed with OpenWRT. Example search ebay "AC5 1200 router" to get a few.
Some cheap routers from China come with OpenWRT from factory, some sellers on aliexpress are even marketing it as a feature.
All these are OK for non-critical use... buy one, test it and if it fits your needs, order some more. There is certainly place and good use for cheap APs like this.

EDIT: Just looked around what I can find and there is this Xiaomi Mi wifi router 3 with quite crazy specs that can run OpenWRT for $11... no idea how they can sell it this cheap

xbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:19 pm

I tried to pair a tplink with Mikrotik using wds couple of years ago, did not go well
I did not specify, but I will - I am not going to use these via WDS but via CAT 6 Ethernet via HP ProCurve switch OR directly on Mktk Haplite, if the AC does work out well and I can disable its WiFi N and let HapLite be the Network Admin and drop its Wireless functionality.

xbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:21 pm

You can find cheap 802.11ac routers starting around ~$15, some are even dual-band.
Tenda is cheap and they can be flashed with OpenWRT. Example search ebay "AC5 1200 router" to get a few.
Some cheap routers from China come with OpenWRT from factory, some sellers on aliexpress are even marketing it as a feature.
All these are OK for non-critical use... buy one, test it and if it fits your needs, order some more. There is certainly place and good use for cheap APs like this.

EDIT: Just looked around what I can find and there is this Xiaomi Mi wifi router 3 with quite crazy specs that can run OpenWRT for $11... no idea how they can sell it this cheap
Yes, I noticed the Tenda stuff as well. Will look into Mi 3 as well - Any other such brands that you may be aware of?

I dont necessarily have to change them to OpenWRT - I just want high performance SLAVE WiFi AC access point to complement by HAPLite which is Wifi N only.

PS:
:)
I did not specify, but I will - I am not going to use these via WDS but via CAT 6 Ethernet via HP ProCurve switch OR directly on Mktk Haplite, if the AC does work out well and I can disable its WiFi N and let HapLite be the Network Admin and drop its Wireless functionality.

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain