Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Failover with 1 wan DHCP and 1 PPPoE

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:42 am

Hello everybody I've been looking for information, but I can't hit the key.

this is my network structure.

ISP 1 Principal: PPPoE
ISP 2 Backup: DHCP Client

the problem is in the default route of the DHCP Client, because the gateway is constantly changing. I can't get the key to make it dynamic.

I just need failover. I'm not looking for balancing.It really must be silly. But I can't figure it out.

thanks in advance!
best regards

Hernan.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Failover with 1 wan DHCP and 1 PPPoE

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Have you set your distances correctly ? 1 for ISP1 and 2 for ISP2 ?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:43 pm

I just need failover.
Is it enough for you to fail over to the "dhcp" interface if the PPPoE connection goes physically down, or do you want to check that internet can be reached via the PPPoE connection? In the former case, what @zacharias suggests is enough (you just set the default-route-distance parameter of the /ip dhcp client row to 2), in the latter case you need the same plus some additional magic.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:09 pm

I guess the magic is the recursive failover for the DHCP.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 pm

I guess the magic is the recursive failover for the DHCP.
Rather for the PPPoE, because the DHCP is the WAN of last resort so it doesn't make much difference whether you can reach the internet through it or not. And yes, I do have in mind the recursive next-hop search.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:02 pm

And yes, I do have in mind the recursive next-hop search.
I knew it... :lol:

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 am

I was breaking my head and the subject was simple, when I create the DHCP Client, I select that the distance is 2 and ready, it was super simple :|

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 am

Sure, but that was just level 1 of the quest. Now imagine what happens if the PPPoE session stays up but the PPPoE ISP has problems in their network so you cannot get to the internet through there. In this case, the route via PPPoE will remain active, so the one through the DHCP ISP won't be used.