Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jlgonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Is it possible to make a clean install of RouterOS without Netinstall?

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:50 am

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to create an automated platform to manage new installations of RouterOS and set custom configurations on each device (The script generation is done with external logic). I would like to know if it's possible to use different tools (preferably via CLI) to make new installations of RouterOS and customize default configuration scripts. After using Wireshark, I noticed that Netinstall is using BootP, DHCP and TFTP, but I don't know which steps to follow in order to replicate the same process.

Does someone here know how to make a solution like this? If it's possible, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Is it possible to make a clean install of RouterOS without Netinstall?

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:18 am

Install them where exactly? On what platform?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jlgonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:24 am

I was talking about, for example, create a solution on Linux in which you could make Netinstall process via CLI or Bash Script using generic TFTP/BOOTP servers.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am

I know, but you did not answer my question. There might be different solutions for different architectures.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jungan
just joined

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am

been looking for solution to this but I don't think it's possible

jlgonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 am

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question. Now I'm currently working with the model RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN (MIPSBE)

jlgonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:58 am

EDIT: I was able to configure a BOOTP server & TFTP server and replicate netinstall operations in terms of assigning IPs and transfering the vmlinux image to the router. However, I still don't know what does the MT Netinstall Server does. After using Wireshark, I noticed that it uses UDP port 5000 to transfer the NPK file, the default script file and other configuration with a strange structure of messages (I tried decoding the pcap packages as TFTP with no success so I assume that in this step it's not used). Here I copy some examples in case you know what kind of protocol is:
..',J...B...........OFFR

..',J...B.............',J...B.............',J...B.............',J...B.............',J...B.....).....FILE
routeros-mipsbe-6.45.7.npk
..',J...B.....).....FILE
..',J...B.....).....FILE
..',J...B.....).....FILE
..',J...B..................... ...routeros-mipsbe..f-.sd.]..............stable......mips..B...RouterOS for mipsbe RouterBOARDs, includes all supported features
........".....ipv6..............................$...system...........f-.sd.]..................mips..,...Main package with basic services and drivers.

-----------------------------------AFTER TRANSFERING FILE NPK FILE--------------------

5.......................................>...........................................................G.........................d.].f-.sd.].... ...../var/pdb/system/crcboot/kernel 1963032758
boot
. 2
.'|.	.D...7K....:...vg..D.4.

-----------------------------------AFTER THIS, IT COPIES DEFAULT SCRIPT CONTENT--------------------

......I..',J...B.......w v ..',J...B.......w v ..',J...B.......x w FILE
autorun.scr
..',J...B.......x w FILE
autorun.scr

davidg
just joined

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 pm

From your message about getting tftp running, are you saying that with bootp and tftp set up I could replicate the 'most important' bits of netinstall.exe from a linux machine? I don't mind forcing a factory reset via reset button if that steps needed. You write about transferring the NPK file and the VMlinux file... I thought there was only the NPK, so I'm confused.

We're windows-free here, I've just had to resort to borrowing a windows laptop to upgrade my hAP-lite

David
Ps, for what it's worth, netinstall via wine on my linux box(es) just sits there saying,
bootp req received
bootp recv bytes: 300
client: 4C:5E:0C:F0:35:49
bootp req received
bootp req received

Other runs throw in 'reply not sent' or something similar, but the result is the same, it's non-functional.