MikroTik App

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How do you open ports for P2P

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 am

Hi all,

Just looking for info on how to open ports for P2P I have read the manual, but have still not been able to setup port forwading to all clients.

Clients connect using PPPOE connection, to the router, and when using P2P software does not seem to be able to connect using these ports.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of the previous posts, as there has been alot of help from these posts. Especially when I first setup the router. Very helpfull indeed. :)

ptsip

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Just try tcp/udp ports for: 411-413,1214,3531,4661-4665,6345-6348,6881-6889

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OK will do

Tue May 01, 2007 12:26 pm

I have tried some of the ports that you mentioned, I am able to download on P2P but not at the rate my normal downloads, even when there is many seeds.

I have checked to see if the diffirent ports make a diffirence, but my computer can't keep a connection with the trackers, thus slowing the downloads.

If I were able to open up all P2P ports for client side our P2P as well as VoiP functions would work better.

GWISA

Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 pm

When you say 'open ports for p2p' do you imply that you have a firewall blocking certain ports in your setup?

And also, when you suggest 'port forwarding', are you also implying that you are NATing your clients?

Give us more info on your setup....

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 pm

In another post you mention you are on a Satellite link, P2P traffic will kill a Satellite connection, so it's pretty likely your supplier has put Firewall rules into their router to block it.

Same goes as for your other post, you probably need Port Forwarding rules in the Satellite router too, but I wouldn't even go there. Most people are trying to prevent P2P, not actually allow it!

I speak from experience, one user connected with Limeware managed to kill my entire network. Luckily we now have ADSL bearers and ditched the Satellite connections over a year ago, but I still have occassional problems, hence I'm installing MT routers so that I can block P2P during peak periods and limit these bandwidth hogs to the middle of the night.

Regards

Chris Macneill

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ISP DOES NOT BLOCK P2P

Tue May 01, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi

The isp says they do not block any ports from thier side, so then I would need to unblock on our linkstar router.

Have no Idea how to do that though will have to find another forum for that as it is not mikrotik

Then open up ports on that for trafic through to mikrotik and then open up ports on mikrotik so that P2P can work

More info on setup:

ISP--->SAT-->SAT ROUTER-->Mikrotik--->Clients

IP Address Ranges:
Sat Router: Static Public Address
Ether1 connected to sat router --->10.77.204.1xx
WLan1 --> 192.168.30.xx
WLan2 --> 192.168.31.xx
Wlan3 --> 192.168.32.xx

Nat setup

Srcnat --> Masquerade

GWISA

Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 am

open up ports on that for trafic through to mikrotik and then open up ports on mikrotik so that P2P can work
Are you saying you do have a set of firewall rules on your MT then?

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Yes, I do

Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm

I did add dst-nat chain, as I did for my web server, but as we have a satellite link, we are also connected to the sat router, which apparently blocks p2p by default.

unfortunatly I do not know how to opperate the sat router, so I will not be able to open the ports.

We are going to be getting ADSL shortly, so when that technology becomes available, we will not have the problem anymore.

I do appreciate the help that was provided, and will possible be used in the future at diffirent sites, but at this stage there is nothing much that I can do from this location with the sat router etc.

Thanks for all the help though.

I am sure that with the posts from here and another post, I will be able to do so when we start using ADSL.