for the basic and reliable router,
do you recommend which one device(s) ?

thanks

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: router for BGP ?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 pm

For BGP I recommend Cisco, Juniper or VyOS for a cheaper solution.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 am

Depend how much traffic and routing table you will have! In my company with about 300Mbps with just 1 /22 Public to advertise and receive only 0.0.0.0/0 from ISP 4 ISP in Total I have deployed and Hex S (RB760iGS). Is working great since 1 year now!

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:19 am

For BGP I recommend Cisco, Juniper or VyOS for a cheaper solution.
Hi,

do you recommend any Juniper device ?

and is VyOS really fine for it ?
will it need poweful hardware ?

thanks

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am

Depend how much traffic and routing table you will have! In my company with about 300Mbps with just 1 /22 Public to advertise and receive only 0.0.0.0/0 from ISP 4 ISP in Total I have deployed and Hex S (RB760iGS). Is working great since 1 year now!
Hi,

do you ever use other mikrotik device as router ? or only RB760iGS ?

thanks

afink

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:10 pm

If you have to run BGP, the big question is why and how.

BGP is usually needed if you have multiple upstreams. And then the question is how will you separate the traffic between these upstreams.
In this case you might need to load full routing tables to get the optimal path between your multiple upstreams. And this requires lots of memory (several Gigabytes).

A CCR-1036 or CCR-1072 can handle this. (recommended: get the models with -EM which have even more memory). A CCR-1009, while being able to handle the CPU load, can not handle this as it doesn't have enough memory. In this case you can help yourself with filtering rules to reduce the routing table to reduce the number of entries. Meaning you send traffic outbound over one ISP and only short paths over another.

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi,
If you have to run BGP, the big question is why and how.
i have one isp now,
because i want to add remote ddos protection from other service provider to my servers,
and i should setup my own AS and BGP to make it,
by the way,i need a router to handle it.

BGP is usually needed if you have multiple upstreams. And then the question is how will you separate the traffic between these upstreams.
In this case you might need to load full routing tables to get the optimal path between your multiple upstreams. And this requires lots of memory (several Gigabytes).

A CCR-1036 or CCR-1072 can handle this. (recommended: get the models with -EM which have even more memory). A CCR-1009, while being able to handle the CPU load, can not handle this as it doesn't have enough memory. In this case you can help yourself with filtering rules to reduce the routing table to reduce the number of entries. Meaning you send traffic outbound over one ISP and only short paths over another.
i think i will not have over 5 upstreams basically and shortly,
for this situation,
should i still need alot ram ?

thanks

afink

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 pm

The amount of memory required to store BGP routes depends on many factors, such as the router, the number of alternate paths available, route dampening, community, the number of maximum paths configured, BGP attributes, and VPN configurations. Without knowledge of these parameters it is difficult to calculate the amount of memory required to store a certain number of BGP routes. Cisco used to recommends a minimum of 512 MB of RAM in the router to store a complete global BGP routing table from one BGP peer. However this is not enough anymore these days.

I checked my BGP edge routers. They have 7 internal iBGP sessions and 1-2 external BGP sessions each. They consume between 1.6GB to 3GB of memory.

Given that the routing tables are always increasing as the internet expands, I would not go below 4GB of RAM today and make sure you have the ability to upgrade. 8GB or 16GB would be better.

Hence the CCR1036 or CCR1072 series should be fine but everything below is risky. And the -EM variants (EM=Extended Memory) or self upgraded with standard memory DIMMs suits you best.

Thats what I use since many years and BGP works pretty ok with it.

One thing to known is that RouterOS 6 is still running BGP on a single core. So even though you have 72 cores in a CCR1072, the loading of a full BGP4 table takes some minutes.
This doesn't affect the traffic going through the system but it affects routing updates. RouterOS 7 should change that I was told but thats still to be seen. (The current RouterOS 7 betas do not even have BGP at all).

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:20 am

Hi,

thanks for all your reply.may i ask.may i ask if mikrotik's hardware reliable and stable ? because i feel it is not cheap and it will cost alot money to buy another one for backup.and i find some articles show it has security issue ?

thanks

afink

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 am

In the class of backbone BGP routers with full routing table, Mikrotiks are very cheap compared to the big guys (Cisco, Juniper etc).
I can don more with my CCR1076 than I can do with my ASR1002F which costed me 20'000$ at the time. Performance of the CCR is bigger and full wirespeed encryption is key for me.

As far as reliability goes, power supplies are sometimes breaking. Mikrotik have imporved that with dual power supply options in newer revisions. (but other vendors power supplies sometimes break too). So from a reliability standpoint, dual power supply is really important.

Where I had some issues during the years is if you upgrade a software to the next version, I had it a few times that the device gets stuck and you need reflashing it. Less lately though.
The point is if your install is 1000km away from your home, you dont want to have an outage. So its always good to have a backup route. in Cisco you can do this with their "High Availability" options but they cost real big money and its often cheaper just to have 2 devices instead. After all IP routing gives you redundancy too.

The RouterOS software still have room for improvement. OSPFv3 IPv6 routing still doesn't work in VLANs and BGP4 routing is running on a single core (making full reloading of BGP4 routing tables slow). Mikrotik is aware of these issues and is working on these things though. BGP4 should improve with Release 7 I heard (but nothing is seen in the betas yet).

Most problems are misconfigurations though. So you must knows what you are doing. And if you screw up things, things can get really difficult. However some advanced features like MAC telnet have saved me a couple of times to take back control after having locked myself out.

So if you run BGP4 in a productive mission critical environment, get a knowledgable engineer to take care of it. These things are not simple and should be carefully planned, whatever vendor you use.

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 am

Hi,

im not sure if i can ask a question here,
do you ever use or compare mikrotik(routeros) with pfsense and vyos ?

thanks

doma
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 am

Hello,

if i just have one uplink to transit,
does it mean it will not need alot ram to store the routeing table ?

thanks