Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

antiqued4
just joined
Topic Author

VPN Queue Help

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Hello everyone, I have a VPN here with a branch, both matrix and branch have 100mb bandwidth, when I pass a file from one to another ends up using the 100mb bandwidth and ends killing the VPN for the rest of the staff. I would need to do a bandwidth control on file passing if is possible. Later we will have a system here in the head office and the branch will access it and not to be slow would need this queue for example 60% for files and 40% for the system. There is a way to do it, because I don't know how. Vpn is L2TP with IPSEC, Thanks.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: VPN Queue Help

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm

A simple "Simple Queue" should do the trick.
On each end of your tunnel, add a simple queue with the local subnet as target and the remote subnet as as "dst" and fill both "Max Limit" fields with your desired total b/w. like "60M".
After reading your post again, I get you want to limit file sharing only, correct? Either you put your fileserver in "dst" or you'll need to go the mangle way and mark packets for file sharing, you could match by protocol/port to filter file sharing protocols or dst-addresses for file servers in general.
Leave the rest untouched.
That should be it.
-Chris
Christopher Diedrich
MTCNA, MTCUME, MTCWE
Basel, Switzerland
Bremen, Germany

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
There are two types of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

antiqued4
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:45 pm

A simple "Simple Queue" should do the trick.
On each end of your tunnel, add a simple queue with the local subnet as target and the remote subnet as as "dst" and fill both "Max Limit" fields with your desired total b/w. like "60M".
After reading your post again, I get you want to limit file sharing only, correct? Either you put your fileserver in "dst" or you'll need to go the mangle way and mark packets for file sharing, you could match by protocol/port to filter file sharing protocols or dst-addresses for file servers in general.
Leave the rest untouched.
That should be it.
-Chris
OK, I just did a test, I made a 1mb queue for the server ip in the matrix and made a copy of a branch file, was 1mb right, the file server for now will be another server with another IP so let's say that would already be right correct? But could we just join these two servers and I would have to mangle it? But I didn't think how to do it, I worked very little with him.
Sorry English, I'm using google translator.

antiqued4
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm tempted via Layer 7 with regxp for excel files to test which is the one I will use most, but I can't get a compatible regxp