Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Giepie
Topic Author

Change Route after certain time

Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 am

Hi all

I would like to accomplish the following. If anyone has idea's, please help!

Due to bandwidth costs, and the fact that you can't split port 80 web traffic from port 80 download traffic (IE, loading web site from downloading 2GB file from website), I would like to accomplish this by changing the gateway of a certain download thread after say 60sec's.

I would like to use good quality bandwidth for all websites, but when someone is downloading from a certain IP for say 60sec's, I would like for only that thread to be routed over cheaper bandwidth which is not AS responsive. The good quality bandwidth is very expensive but responsive, the cheap bandwidth is fast enough, but with very high latency.

Any idea's?

Re, G
The only thing Mikrotik lack, is to send power to your High Sites wirelessly.....

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 09, 2007 8:47 am

I think doing this would break the download.

I don't know of a way

Diganet

Re: Change Route after certain time

Wed May 09, 2007 11:22 am

Hi all

I would like to accomplish the following. If anyone has idea's, please help!

Due to bandwidth costs, and the fact that you can't split port 80 web traffic from port 80 download traffic (IE, loading web site from downloading 2GB file from website), I would like to accomplish this by changing the gateway of a certain download thread after say 60sec's.

I would like to use good quality bandwidth for all websites, but when someone is downloading from a certain IP for say 60sec's, I would like for only that thread to be routed over cheaper bandwidth which is not AS responsive. The good quality bandwidth is very expensive but responsive, the cheap bandwidth is fast enough, but with very high latency.

Any idea's?

Re, G
You would break the TCP connection and the user would have to resume the download...

/Henrik

Giepie
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2007 7:28 pm

I think doing this would break the download.

I don't know of a way
Hi Equis

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I thought it might break the download, but my idea was to only change large files like 100MB etc to a different Gateway. I think most people who would download such large files would make use of download managers.

I was thinking in terms of IP Lists. Write a script which marks certain IP addresses as "IP with Large Files" and keep it there. So the first user downloading from a certain IP's connection might break, but not the users thereafter.

Thankx, G
The only thing Mikrotik lack, is to send power to your High Sites wirelessly.....

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Changing the route while the connection is active, will kill any connection (not just the download) connected to the destination IP. Creating a 'ACL' for 'large downloads' won't work propperly either, because http://www.mysite.com with a standard small web site, may very well be on the same IP as http://www.bigsite.com with 1GB downloads.

Now, if MT can have some form of time control (reset connection if established for longer than x minutes) which is possible, then we can talk... -grin-

This wont solve it for the initial first time download, but setup squid properly, and let it go to cache. There is no reason why a 100MB file can't be served 100% from cache (This is great for Patches / Services Packs / etc for example)...

i.e.
refresh_pattern \.exe$                                   10080  90%  43200
maximum_object_size 1024 MB
Should give a pretty good result. Pitty Mikrotik can't be fine tuned like this :)

Giepie
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Savage

Thanks for your response

I am using the Web-Proxy route at the moment, caching file of up to 18MB (could be tweaked, but I only have 512MB RAM on the CACHE MT atm).

I'm actually just playing around with different idea's to give non-abuser clients the best possible service, and people downloading large files good service, which won't cost too much money for the ISP.

I do agree with your statement about connection based on time, that would be sweet. I do realise now that by placing certain IP's on address lists wont solve the problem, as you may as well cache it in the first place.

I have "some" experience with SQUID proxy, but for my limited Linux experience I find MT Web Proxy to be sufficient for what I need and rather easy to setup.

I think the biggest bug in what I'm trying to accomplish, is the fact that you cant determine whether the user is downloading several small images from a website, or actually downloading 1GB files. If only downloads would work on a different port than the files actually displayed on the website.

But, at the end of the day, the user pays per GB, so they deserve the best, but, we're all in it for money, so if "some" money could be saved, why not?

Thanks for everyone's help. I think perhaps we gave the MT guys something to think about. They managed to accomplish miracles in the past, let's see what they come up with in MT V4!! :D

Regards, Giepie