Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Performance RB951-2HnD

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:57 am

Hi everyone, I've been struggling with this issue for a while, but I can't find a solution, I'd like to see if you can give me a hand.

I am working with a mikrotik RB951, it has all 5 ports occupied.

I have 3 devices in ports 1, 2 and 3.
And 2 wan on ports 4 and 5.
The first WAN is a fiber line with PPTP.
this connection is symmetrical, it's 300mb down and up. on the way down I'm fine, but on the way up I only have 200mb. with my direct provider's modem, I have the correct speed.

And with the secondary WAN I have 1GB of download and 30 MB of upload, in this case the upload is ok, but the download didn't reach 350mb and it's something that is driving me crazy.

This last connection the ip is obtained by DHCP and then my devices take DHCP from the armed bridge in the mikrotik, the truth is that it is not an extensive NETWORK, in the firewall I only have the fasttrack and a DNS drop rule to avoid attacks to that port.

My RB951 should be able to traffic the 1GB connection without any problem? I'm testing it from Speedtest, because with the live modems from my 2 providers they set the contracted speed.

I'm assuming that my router doesn't have the capacity to traffic that value :(

Thanks for your valuable help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Performance RB951-2HnD

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:12 am

RB951G is not a high performance router (might be it was when it was launched, but it's aged). Official test results indicate maximum speeds. My experience (and other forum users concur) is that number which best reflects the real-life performance is the number under "Routing - 25 ip filter rules - 512 byte packets" and for this particular model the number is 244 Mbps. Which is consistent with what you're getting.

If you need higher routing speed, then you need a faster device. As your combined routed throughput should reach up to 1630 Mbps (2x300 Mbps + 1Gbps + 30 Mbps) you should be looking at RB4011 (either wireless or wired model) or better model. If you're on tight budget (using RB951G indicates that) and you can live with slightly lower routing capacity, you can look at RBD52G (routing capacity peaks at around 1Gbps).
BR,
Metod

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:16 am

I agree with mkx. The RB951G was introduced in early 2013. For todays high speed requirements, it might be time for an upgrade.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:16 pm

RB951G is not a high performance router (might be it was when it was launched, but it's aged). Official test results indicate maximum speeds. My experience (and other forum users concur) is that number which best reflects the real-life performance is the number under "Routing - 25 ip filter rules - 512 byte packets" and for this particular model the number is 244 Mbps. Which is consistent with what you're getting.

If you need higher routing speed, then you need a faster device. As your combined routed throughput should reach up to 1630 Mbps (2x300 Mbps + 1Gbps + 30 Mbps) you should be looking at RB4011 (either wireless or wired model) or better model. If you're on tight budget (using RB951G indicates that) and you can live with slightly lower routing capacity, you can look at RBD52G (routing capacity peaks at around 1Gbps).
Hi! mkx, first, thank you for your valuable response.

Regarding my team, I was afraid of that, but I didn't know the performance would be so low, I thought it would be a little better. I was thinking about upgrading to an RB2011, but based on the table sent and looking for the 2011 one, with 25 filters I got the same result.
It's for my house, but I would like to get the most out of my connection, but I don't know at what cost, I think for this occasion I will have to go down from mikrotik. Here in Argentina, with the situation of the country, these equipments have a much higher cost than other equipments.
I understand that this is a mikrotik forum, but what other equipment could I acquire?

I agree with mkx. The RB951G was introduced in early 2013. For todays high speed requirements, it might be time for an upgrade.

Hi Normis, thanks for your answer, and if it is what I feared, the truth is that I have been using this equipment for a long time, when my connection was only 10MB, here in Argentina the improvements of the networks are very slow, but well, I already have a 1GB connection and I have this problem. I think I will have to leave Mikrotik for some time, since the most robust equipment here in Argentina due to the economic situation is really expensive, I will have to go for some ASUS, NETGEAR or TP-Link.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

EDIT: i see this https://mikrotik.com/product/RB2011UiAS ... estresults
I'm very fair, I think, but I'll go for the 3011

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB3011UiAS ... estresults

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm

I found this Hex, I didn't know this model, apparently it's perfect for my connection.
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3#fndtn-testresults

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 pm

As I explained, the realistic number is in column with 512-byte packets. For hEX r3 that's slightly less than 400Mbps.
BR,
Metod

cavher
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

As I explained, the realistic number is in column with 512-byte packets. For hEX r3 that's slightly less than 400Mbps.

If I later realize what you explained to me, I'll have to look for a RB4011. Thanks for the answer.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm

How about an hAP ac2?

It costs a little more than the hEX - but its routing speed (at 25 rules and 512 bits/packet) is almost two times higher.

https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2