Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Chromecast sleepmode issue

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:59 am

I`ve faced with non typical problem: chrome cast devices don`t work in native sleep mode with mikrotik. I`ve changed my TVs for newer (Samsung 7 series, LG) wich have chromecast functin and i can send video content from phone to TV and this works perfect. BUT... in sleep mode TV must me accessible too and when user sends chromecast content to TV then TV must power on and start youtube ar scrinmorroring or basicaly power on remotely and this option works from any other router by default (i`ve this on tested tp-link, zyxel, asus, edimax). As i found, after i turn off TV ping to it available 5-20 seconds than TV become unavailable. I`ve spent two week for searching the solution bu i failed. I have two devices for test: hap lite and hAP AC Lite RB952Ui in default mode. One TV connected via ethernet dirrectly to Mikrotik and other connected via cable to switch then to mikrotik. Can you help me with this?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Chromecast sleepmode issue

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm

So your TV is connected using wired ethernet, not wireless, right?
Do you see the state of the ethernet port change when the TV enters sleep mode?
(go down, or go back to 10 Mbit/s for example)

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 pm

Yes, wired connection. After tv power off port stay online and even has some tx packets but has no RX. Different link modes didn`t help. Same issue was with wireless connection. Thats why connected cable, wanted to exclude wireless configuration.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes I would think wireless has more chance of failing due to some special mode not implemented or so.
With wired ethernet you should always set it to AUTO negotiate and allow all speed/duplex values (= the default setting).
Setting hardcoded speed/duplex at one side of an ethernet link is a bad idea.
Some devices will re-negotiate when they go to sleep mode e.g. from 1 Gbps to 100 or 10 Mbps.

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Link has manual configuration 100 full duplex, before this was 10... same result

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

That is likely the problem. Change it to AUTO.

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:14 pm

:)
Problem isn`t so simple. All "simple" things were tested. Different link speed, auto link, dhcp reservation time, static ip, upnp, add mutlicast, loop protect disable, disable all firewall deny rules, changed arp lifetime, different vlan for TV and chromecast laptop that has wired connection. That`s why the last chance is registration here and ask for help, i have no ideas what it can be.

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Try increasing DHCP lease-timeout=1d . I know Apple things have issues with the short default lease time.

Edit: just re-read your last post where you changed it, but it might not have been long enough.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm

:)
Problem isn`t so simple. All "simple" things were tested. Different link speed, auto link, dhcp reservation time, static ip, upnp, add mutlicast, loop protect disable, disable all firewall deny rules, changed arp lifetime, different vlan for TV and chromecast laptop that has wired connection. That`s why the last chance is registration here and ask for help, i have no ideas what it can be.
In any case, manual config of ethernet settings is almost always a bad thing to do, and it CERTAINLY is a bad thing when it cannot be done on both sides. Presuming you cannot set it on the TV side, you also should not set it on the router side! (i.e. leave it at auto negotiate)

To solve this problem you will need to have detailed looks at the link state (as I already mentioned) and make packet traces to see what exactly ceases to work. Does it fail at the IP level or even at the ARP level. Is there any indication that the device loses its IP address. Could it be an IPv6-related problem (e.g. IPv6 fails but IPv4 keeps working, is however not used because IPv6 worked before).

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm

TVs use only ipv4, no option for ipv6. As i wrote before, port indication stay active for mikrotik ethernet2 with direct tv connection and for swith where connected second tv. In TV standby mode it deletes from active hosts on mikrotik so i think problem is on arp level. I think it`s some specific standby mode that doesn`t support by default and need to be activated but i have no idea what it can be. It`s really frustrating because i was able to solve any problem with mikrotik before but not this time and i can`t replace mikrotik with other device because i`m using l2tp tunnels, over 50 firewall rules and rras server (for test i`m using router with default setting). I gave only one idea... add one more router after mikrotik but it`s very stupid for one function add router after router.

bpwl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:51 pm

"connected via cable to switch then to mikrotik"

Maybe the problem is not layer 1 or not even layer 2. But a higher layer (such as IP routes) or layer 2 helper service (multicast snooping, broadcast flood, STP protocol, loop detect ...).
What else is in the path from content transmitter to TV? Does your transmitter initialy find the chromecast device?

Some hints here: https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/discovery
And here ? viewtopic.php?t=116604

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Probably time to share your config... :-)

Could it be firewall?
My Chromecast HDMI stick does PING 8.8.8.8, and needs to succeed...
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite, ltap-mini, RB4011 (good!), Audience (better) :-) !!!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm

I think it`s some specific standby mode that doesn`t support by default and need to be activated but i have no idea what it can be.
I don't know such a mode on wired ethernet that requires more than the default auto-negotiate being enabled.
(some devices reduce the ethernet speed when in sleepmode, what you should see in the log is a loss of ethernet link, re-negotiate, and come back at a lower speed)

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Thank you for the answer. I`ve specially connected two devices on different ways:
1. All devices had wireless connection that can make many problems. Then i`ve changed connection to wired for All devices (2 TVs and one laptop). Third thought was that mikrotik can disable port in tv standby mode so i`ve connected one TV to twitch so in mikrotik port will be power on all time.
2. All works perfect when TVs powered on. Can send chromecast, do screenmirroring and control remotely with Google Home from any device (laptop, pc, phone) but when i send TV to standby mode then all devices can`t see it after 10-20 seconds. First 10 seconds i can wake it when send chromecast content.
3. Different parameters for flood, loop, stp, upnp and ports snooping didn`t help. Tried configure multicast package and this didn`t help too.
4. Took new router with DEFAULT settings, disabled all deny firewall rules.

Sad thing that 10$ simplest routers can do this from the box and even have no settings for this

Cane somebody test chromecast on tv with mikrotik router?

bpwl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:27 pm

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 pm

i`ve stopped at 14th page. All articles are around "Make chromecast work" and dated 2014-2017 years. In samsung tvs it starts from 7th series and, as i think, after 2018 year

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

I have tested it with my Philips TV with Android and built-in Chromecast.
It works fine. TV is in standby (connected wired ethernet), I turn on my HP Chromebook (which is on WiFi) and select casting, it already sees the TV and I can connect it, TV powers on.

Heck I did not even know that this works, I always turned on the TV using the remote control beforehand.
I also did not test this after a really long time in standby, like next day. I could try to remember to test that tomorrow.
But it looks like the blame is more with your TV than with the router...

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 pm

I have tested it with my Philips TV with Android and built-in Chromecast.
It works fine. TV is in standby (connected wired ethernet), I turn on my HP Chromebook (which is on WiFi) and select casting, it already sees the TV and I can connect it, TV powers on.

Heck I did not even know that this works, I always turned on the TV using the remote control beforehand.
I also did not test this after a really long time in standby, like next day. I could try to remember to test that tomorrow.
But it looks like the blame is more with your TV than with the router...
I agree with you because i`ve tested this only with samsung 7series and lg with same chromecast version. But this issue appiars only when i use mikrotik router. Have some additional packages installed/configured which differ from default?
I can tell you more. If you`ll connect your tv to Google home then you can manage it with ok, google. Or setup to power on tv when you (your phone) entering room.

Just visited my friend with 7 series samsung and mikrotik. In standby mode chromecast unavailable too and he didn`t know that it works like this too.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm

I should note that both my TV and my Chromebook were on the same LAN segment (not my primary segment but a special one for this purpose).
Probably it will not work correctly when you use different segments and rely on some form of multicast routing.
I don't have that on my router, there are 5 different segments but there is no multicast routing between them (and almost no normal routing).

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:37 am

Couldn`t solve the issue. Ordered zyxel keenetic. My practice of Mikrotik usage and install for home usage goes to end after more then 50 installed devices.

rooted
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:47 am

Couldn`t solve the issue. Ordered zyxel keenetic. My practice of Mikrotik usage and install for home usage goes to end after more then 50 installed devices.
Sometimes you have to value your time more than your preferred hardware, I don't have this issue as it works properly on all my Chromecast devices but if I had spent more than 8 hours diagnosing I would be looking for something else too.

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 am

Sometimes you have to value your time more than your preferred hardware, I don't have this issue as it works properly on all my Chromecast devices but if I had spent more than 8 hours diagnosing I would be looking for something else too.
I`ve spent days for this. Chromecast works fine on powered on devices and i can`t say that it doesnt work at all. The problem is with deep sleep when device become unreachable and i`m losing 30% of functions for my new tv devices when i can`t use chromecast, control from phone, can`t use tvs with smart home controllesr. I`ve bought new mikrotik device, unboxed it and connected to internet (dhcp from ISP), configured wifi and local network then one by one used all manuals from internet for chromecast configuration and all off them didn`t help me. TV still unreachable when it`s in sleep mode. Tested on same router two other TVs: sony and philips and they have no this issue so i can conclude that "probem" affects only webos and tizen. With ANY other router (i really tested ALL other manufacturers) in same condition this function works perfect.

rooted
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:06 am

It would be interesting to know why, perhaps by sniffing packets you could figure it out but of course you have moved on and like I said I understand why.

Kindis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:44 am

What is the lease time on DHCP addresses? I have two Xbox One's that connect via swicthes (none MT units) to my core router (4011) and I had issues that if the Xbox one was in standby mode for more then the lease time I could not turn if on by using the app from my phone or see that it had renewed it's IP. I moved from 8 hours to 8 days. This solved the issue for me. Could be an issue with the Xbox but it was the same. On standby the port is 10 Mbit.
This was a few years ago and have not tested since.

Have you tested to add a static IP address to the TV to verify if it has to do with DHCP?

Edit: Should note that I have had other things working fine in Standby mode at the time of issues with Xbox One.

falconn1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:32 am

What is the lease time on DHCP addresses? I have two Xbox One's that connect via swicthes (none MT units) to my core router (4011) and I had issues that if the Xbox one was in standby mode for more then the lease time I could not turn if on by using the app from my phone or see that it had renewed it's IP. I moved from 8 hours to 8 days. This solved the issue for me. Could be an issue with the Xbox but it was the same. On standby the port is 10 Mbit.
This was a few years ago and have not tested since.

Have you tested to add a static IP address to the TV to verify if it has to do with DHCP?

Edit: Should note that I have had other things working fine in Standby mode at the time of issues with Xbox One.
Thank you for reply. Static was the second thing that i did after cable connection. And yes, my other devices in standby mode work good too: vacuum cleaner (wifi), termal switches (wifi), door monitor (cable).

bpwl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm

I should note that both my TV and my Chromebook were on the same LAN segment (not my primary segment but a special one for this purpose).
Probably it will not work correctly when you use different segments and rely on some form of multicast routing.
I don't have that on my router, there are 5 different segments but there is no multicast routing between them (and almost no normal routing).
Maybe some basic check of the DIAL protocol flow is needed. We all know that the Mikrotik bridge mysteriously blocks some traffic (like in the many DHCP cases) and reacts to things like STP protocol set to "none", to work completely different as non-compliant bridge. I only have the Chromecast Ultra, and that is not linked to the sleep mode of the TV in the same way.as a built in.
I found information on deployment and DIAL protocol in the Cisco docs: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/w ... tDG76.html