Community discussions

MikroTik App

aj3
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to Block via MAC

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm

I have a MAC address I want to block from either getting an IP address from the DHCP server, or from transiting the network via internet.
I added this rule at the top of the Firewall rules:
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Unknown DWRT device" src-mac-address=\
    00:00:71:AA:A0:74
Yet, after the DHCP lease expires, the freaking device reconnects!
What am I doing wrong?
mac-block.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Unable to Block via MAC

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Your rule denies forwarding (only).
Your request was to stop DHCP lease, and transiting the network to Internet. The last of the 2 requirements is in your firewall rule.
You did not specify how the device connects , so there may be possibiliies at the incoming interface.
I think you should add at least a specific DHCP lease for that MAC with "block access" in the DHCP server.
Personally I would stop the device at the connection, for wireless you have the "access list" TAB where you can remove the "authentication" and "forwarding" for that MAC.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 pm

Kewl did not know there was a block address option but then again I have not had the need.
https://www.google.com/search?q=block+d ... MP2tSyKA24

Also like the wifi as the first line of defense!
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

shareefkhan
just joined

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:41 am

Kewl did not know there was a block address option but then again I have not had the need.ctrentacar
https://www.google.com/search?q=block+d ... 8#kpvalbx=_rentacarmtdOXrKROcWuytpakistani

Also like the wifi as the first line of defense!

Hello what do you mean by this answer, I am sorry but I have not understand your words.
Last edited by shareefkhan on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.