Community discussions

MikroTik App

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WiFi Calling Problems

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm having issues on a hAP ac with WiFi calling. Call will connect for about 15 seconds before the person on the other end is unable to hear my voice while I can still hear theres. I've read the forums and others having issues but have been unable to find a solution. I'm running on ROS 6.45.8. I've tried port forwarding all required ports, enabled upnp, Enabled and disabled sip service port with and without "SIP Direct Media", completely disabled firewall, tried both 2.4 and 5G with and without Multicast helper. I've moved from AC to A/N on 40MHz channels. None of the above allowed WiFi calling to work. I ended up enabling the WiFi on my ATT fiber router and WiFi calling works with no problems. Is this a firmware issue with MikroTik. I feel like I've invested way too much time into this and would love to hear if there's a solution or if I can hang up my troubleshooting efforts.

I appreciate any help!

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WiFi Calling Problems

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Did you disable sip alg?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm having issues on a hAP ac with WiFi calling. Call will connect for about 15 seconds before the person on the other end is unable to hear my voice while I can still hear theres. I've read the forums and others having issues but have been unable to find a solution. I'm running on ROS 6.45.8. I've tried port forwarding all required ports, enabled upnp, Enabled and disabled sip service port with and without "SIP Direct Media", completely disabled firewall, tried both 2.4 and 5G with and without Multicast helper. I've moved from AC to A/N on 40MHz channels. None of the above allowed WiFi calling to work. I ended up enabling the WiFi on my ATT fiber router and WiFi calling works with no problems. Is this a firmware issue with MikroTik. I feel like I've invested way too much time into this and would love to hear if there's a solution or if I can hang up my troubleshooting efforts.

I appreciate any help!
Did you have the ATT in DMZ Mode?

There was a known problem with ATT routers and WiFi calling. It had to do with how the router would try to work the NAT.

https://forums.att.com/conversations/at ... a13b#M7940

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:34 pm

I appreciate the reply's. Yes my ATT router is in DMZ. I watched David Attias SIP/ALG video from MUM in 2017 and found after disabling SIP the router needs to be rebooted. Once I disabled SIP/ALG and rebooted the router I was able to make a call and hold the connection for 5 minutes. Hoping that was all it needed.

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Sure enough it stopped working again. I'm going to take the router and connect to a static Spectrum address to see if this is an issue with ATT and DMZ/NAT from their router.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:51 am

I usually leave SIP ALG enabled and use no port forwarding at all. I never enable UPnP, but that's because I don't need it.
The ATT router may be doing port translation.
If you do a packet capture in the Mikrotik, you can check if ports are changing for the audio and you'll be able to see if the audio just stops in one direction or the other. That'll help narrow down the source of the problem.

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Yes, problem was with the ATT router. Thanks for the heads up @gotsprings. I ended up creating a separate network for cell phones to use ATT direct and the rest of my devices running over my router in the DMZ. ATT is a real P in the A!

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:47 am

Yup, the fact that ATT insists on providing an absolutely garbage CPE is why I never consider them as an ISP unless I have absolutely no other choice.

I've always had issues with their CPEs and upon switching to a decent ISP that allows their device to be placed in bridge mode the problems go away instantly. I fortunately have not been forced to try the work arounds that isolate the ATT modem to only performing the 802.1x that is required to authenticate the session. It seems that's an option though.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 am

ATT is a real P in the A!
No, SIP with NAT is a real P in the A!
It is almost impossible to get this working completely correctly, and when it works it will break the next time someone changes something.
(e.g. add another client, add another SIP account at another provider from the same client, etc)

I would recommend you to use IPv6 so you won't need NAT anymore.