Community discussions

MikroTik App

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

RBM33G Slow bandwidth HELP

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm facing a problem with a Mikrotik RBM33G with R11e-LTE6 modem, I'm using a simple LTE Antenna attached to the main with Vodafone SIM (Italy).
The main problem is that with that sim in a mobile smartphone (like iPhone XR), using speed test I can normally reach 60/40 Mbps (Down/Up) but with this Routerboard the max bandwidth that I can only reach IS 15/20Mbps also is unstable because sometimes is at 3/5Mbps, I noticed that ALWAYS the upload is more than download.

My setup is this:
-Eth01: Unifi AC-AP-LITE (Wifi Antenna)
-Eth02: OrangePi which works as Unifi Controller
-Eth03: Empty port DHCP Lan
-Wan: LTE interface

I've tried managing the MTU setting and Bands (on average my RSRP goes from -80 to -95), but the problem is the same, also tried with other SIM (ILIAD).

Obviously the tries that I did are with Ethernet Cable directly to the router
I attach my mikrotik backup so you can look.

Please help

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dad2312
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RBM33G Slow bandwidth HELP

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:19 pm

why ether 1 ether 2 and ether 3 have the same adress ?

/ip address
add address=192.168.1.254/24 comment=defconf interface=ether1 network=\
add address=192.168.1.254/24 interface=ether2 network=192.168.1.0
add address=192.168.1.254/24 disabled=yes interface=ether3 network=\

it's not possible to have a RSRP like this (on average my RSRP goes from -80 to -95) it can fluctue to +6 or -6 maximum,
or you have a lot of obstacles moving between the relay antenna and your modem
May be your lte move on 2 antenna relay, you have to fix one antenna : https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... _Cell_lock and try several band (best is one which have larger bandwidth like 20Mhz) but you have to test.

or
"I noticed that ALWAYS the upload is more than download". It's also a sign
- you provider make QOS and alow less bandwidth per user
- there is lots of users on you antenna relay (try to make a test in the night or very soon in the morning)

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi thank you for reply,

• Ether1,2,3 have the same address because I want the same subnet with DHCP on port 1,2,3 so I bridged the ports
  • When I say on average my RSRP goes from -80 to -95, i mean that on BAND 3 my RSRP is -80, on BAND 20 the rsrp is -95
  • I also tried on locking primary band but I get the same results...
  • If my provider makes QOS also with iPhone Hotspot I should get 10/20Mbps but instead I can get over 50Mbps
I post my actual Signal Info

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm

luccio96
Hi everyone,
You should add to LAN the vlan1 too.
/interface list member add interface=vlan1 list=LAN

If you add some bridge port's then you use the bridge itself, you not use the original port's who are not independent anymore.
/ip address add address=192.168.1.254/24 interface=bridgeLan

Of course the vlan1 IP is good and must stay as was setup.

About LTE.
At phone you have many band's with mimo 2x2 antenna.
At MikroTik you use onle band=3 and say about antenna "main" means one cable ?

If you try compare mobile and r11e-LTE6 then give us screenshot from details app at phone who show us stuff like: current CA, bands, signals. From MikroTik the Cellular tab or info from CLI.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Ether1,2,3 have the same address because I want the same subnet with DHCP on port 1,2,3 so I bridged the ports
Address the BridgeLan, not his child.

vlan1 is created at BridgeLan, you should not add the vlan1 as a child=port of bridge.
When I say on average my RSRP goes from -80 to -95, i mean that on BAND 3 my RSRP is -80, on BAND 20 the rsrp is -95
This is more technician.
B3@20Mhz with low signals have low CQI means low speed limited with LTE Calculator with max: 31.68Mbps - sorry. Try other external antenna dedicated to 1800Mhz ??
Check this my mimo 2x2 table:
Source of data was from http://anisimoff.org/eng/lte_throughput_calculator.html
I also tried on locking primary band but I get the same results...
If my provider makes QOS also with iPhone Hotspot I should get 10/20Mbps but instead I can get over 50Mbps
Check parameters at phone, maybe your phone have got a LTE-A with >Cat.12 and have better result's by this factor.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:24 pm

And one more.

In your location you not have Band 7, means you not create a B3+B7 agregation :(. You can do only B3+B20 or B1+B20 - depend that you can reach B1 on other tower.
Your Phone maybe can reach agregation like: B3+B3+B20 or B1+B3 or have >Rel.12 means have better modulation and that way better speed.

CellMaper for you :

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 am

Hello,
first of all thanks for the advice at the mikrotik configuration level, tomorrow i will fix what concerns the bridge configuration.

Regarding LTE:
-I only have one antenna connected by cable on the MAIN of the LTE modem
- I checked and actually my iPhone has a LTE CAT.12 unlike the LTE cat.6 modem present on the mikrotik but how much difference is there?

Tomorrow I will post the data relating to the bands and signals that iPhone detects so that I can analyze them.

Anyway what can I do to make it go at least 30/30? Because however it is at this moment it is unstable and the maximum I can do is 20Mbps but in upload.

Thank you

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 am

Also, It would be useful to buy an external LTE antenna with Mimo functionality like this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01E7CWNSI/ref ... BEb35N0XXC ?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:46 am

Also, It would be useful to buy an external LTE antenna with Mimo functionality like this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01E7CWNSI/ref ... BEb35N0XXC ?
With all external antenna is one big problem.
Any vendor not give a antenna Gain per Band/Freq - this means you not know what Gain you can reach.
They are not a perfect one antenna for all Bands, always some Band's are more preffered, near 800Mhz or 2600Mhz or between.

Check very common difference between our most popular one antenna:
Bez-Kabli.pl Forum post and picture with my comments
ATK 504 by vendor have 16/17/17/16 dB Gain but in reality the router reach rsrp +16@B20 & +10@B3 & +11@B1 & +1@B7
But Both antennas give big +Mbps for Band3 1800Mhz and Band1 2100Mhz - this is proof not always rsrp means speed, but with other modulation thresholds you can step to better speed.
That comparison with results at Mbps and RSRP between external mimo 2x2 antenna you can reach only at technical forums.
Amazon comments are just "lol, is better but I don't know why and what is Band in LTE.. "

My first vendor with a signal Gain is MikroTik in SXTR/LHGR. Check example post when I add some user ISP freq base on earfcn: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158111#p777753

Now you should know that MIMO 2x2 means 2x beem and teoretical 2x speed compare to one cable antenna.
Now you should know that antenna and antenna that two differ stuff and only testing via few bands on it and compare to other one give you info (or oscilloscope...)
LTE Rel.12 and above (new) have a new 256qam modulation, means it's easier to grab better modulation because are differ thresholds for CQI.
Example for CQI=6 but differ modems, both mimo 2x2:

dad2312
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Good job Sib !!

cqi is very fluctue, may be you can reach a better RSRQ (> -10) with a good antenna position or try another relay.

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:45 pm

With all external antenna is one big problem.
Any vendor not give a antenna Gain per Band/Freq - this means you not know what Gain you can reach.
They are not a perfect one antenna for all Bands, always some Band's are more preffered, near 800Mhz or 2600Mhz or between.

Check very common difference between our most popular one antenna:
Bez-Kabli.pl Forum post and picture with my comments
ATK 504 by vendor have 16/17/17/16 dB Gain but in reality the router reach rsrp +16@B20 & +10@B3 & +11@B1 & +1@B7
But Both antennas give big +Mbps for Band3 1800Mhz and Band1 2100Mhz - this is proof not always rsrp means speed, but with other modulation thresholds you can step to better speed.
That comparison with results at Mbps and RSRP between external mimo 2x2 antenna you can reach only at technical forums.
Amazon comments are just "lol, is better but I don't know why and what is Band in LTE.. "

My first vendor with a signal Gain is MikroTik in SXTR/LHGR. Check example post when I add some user ISP freq base on earfcn: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158111#p777753

Now you should know that MIMO 2x2 means 2x beem and teoretical 2x speed compare to one cable antenna.
Now you should know that antenna and antenna that two differ stuff and only testing via few bands on it and compare to other one give you info (or oscilloscope...)
LTE Rel.12 and above (new) have a new 256qam modulation, means it's easier to grab better modulation because are differ thresholds for CQI.
Example for CQI=6 but differ modems, both mimo 2x2:

Thank you for the reply,

In order:
  • I tried to use only BridgeLan as address list but when i disable the other ports the dhcp server not work anymore and mikrotik not give me an ip from the pool as i attach you.
  • Thank for your the antenna detail, I've tried to do some speed test also at midnight and the highest values are at near 30/30 so I think the antenna fixed at band 3 is at own limit.
  • I attach you other data collected from iPhone with the same Cell but I think that the main problem is the antenna that I used...

Luca

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:21 am

How read result of your screenshot: https://www.philmug.ph/community/thread ... tus.98720/
My opinion is: iphone connect 2xB3, means 2CA B3+B3.
rsrp0 primary-band = -89
rsrp1 ca-band = -95
sinr=18,5
All this means very good cqi
but
dl_bw=B3@10MHz, not at max @20Mhz means you not receive top max value. I am not i$Phone expert and maybe this =100 is not 10Mhz..

At iPhone XS bests iPhone XR in cellular signal strength thanks to better antennas article you can see the perfect situation with mimo 2x2 and without CA (Means one Band 4 is like Band 1 at 2100Mhz..) Graf:
But... of course your iPhone have 10Mhz width, but with 2xCA....
But you not receive that theoretical >150Mbs... maybe your BTS is limited with some policy like FAP (Fair access policy) / FUP (Fair Usage Policy) etc. or maybe his uplink have other limits.

What with the iPhone details are at Real-world LTE speed has doubled since iPhone 5s, is big reason to upgrade article like full range of i$Phone's series:

Now you know that your iPhone should have grab more then you receive.

---------------------

What with MikroTik then.
He is Cat.6, have worse modulation but still can have good mimo 2x2 antenna and @20Mhz - max of width.
I currently testing some release candidate modem firmware and can give info that next fw give more stability and speed. I hope they release it soon.
Comparision is only depend at antenna gain and internal problem in firmware who not aggregate/sum/merge properly 2CA (this is my observation in my ISP).

By good antenna you can reach the same and more then iPhone.
---------

About BridgeLan - strange.
Red DHCP-Server is when the bridge is not Running or have not IP at Bridge.
When I see your backup then that vlan1 should be removed from BridgeLan. The vlan1 is separated and it's should have own bridge-vlan10 or be separated addressed interface.

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

How read result of your screenshot: https://www.philmug.ph/community/thread ... tus.98720/
My opinion is: iphone connect 2xB3, means 2CA B3+B3.
rsrp0 primary-band = -89
rsrp1 ca-band = -95
sinr=18,5
All this means very good cqi
but
dl_bw=B3@10MHz, not at max @20Mhz means you not receive top max value. I am not i$Phone expert and maybe this =100 is not 10Mhz..

At iPhone XS bests iPhone XR in cellular signal strength thanks to better antennas article you can see the perfect situation with mimo 2x2 and without CA (Means one Band 4 is like Band 1 at 2100Mhz..) Graf:
But... of course your iPhone have 10Mhz width, but with 2xCA....
But you not receive that theoretical >150Mbs... maybe your BTS is limited with some policy like FAP (Fair access policy) / FUP (Fair Usage Policy) etc. or maybe his uplink have other limits.

What with the iPhone details are at Real-world LTE speed has doubled since iPhone 5s, is big reason to upgrade article like full range of i$Phone's series:

Now you know that your iPhone should have grab more then you receive.

---------------------

What with MikroTik then.
He is Cat.6, have worse modulation but still can have good mimo 2x2 antenna and @20Mhz - max of width.
I currently testing some release candidate modem firmware and can give info that next fw give more stability and speed. I hope they release it soon.
Comparision is only depend at antenna gain and internal problem in firmware who not aggregate/sum/merge properly 2CA (this is my observation in my ISP).

By good antenna you can reach the same and more then iPhone.
---------

About BridgeLan - strange.
Red DHCP-Server is when the bridge is not Running or have not IP at Bridge.
When I see your backup then that vlan1 should be removed from BridgeLan. The vlan1 is separated and it's should have own bridge-vlan10 or be separated addressed interface.

Thank you for your advise, I think that I will look for a good antenna 2x2 to buy...

luccio96
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 am

@SiB

This is my BTS info (run multiple time)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBM33G Slow bandwidth HELP  [SOLVED]

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 am

How to read results via column
opera_klxpHcj4lP.png
At your screen is only
INTRA - 429 , 1850
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Italy LTE Band-s and Your ISP
photo6028564973573223021.jpg